Rowling to kill two in final Potter book

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
..I'm sure you said the same when I was predicting the death of Dumbledore in book 6 :rolleyes:

You know, I think we established a little time ago that the books are no longer aimed at small children - these people have been reading since book one and growing all the same - most people that started to read the series under 10 are now well into their teens - as such the series doesn't have to have a fairy tale ending - JKR is her own author and will write the series to conclusion the way she started - her own way.

There is no secrets that death is coming - she has been saying it for a long time now - even as OoTP was coming out and as such we have had time to adapt to the fact the series has grown in maturity the same as the readers.

Logically speaking you have to assume Harry or Voldemort are going to die - my personal thinking is that both will - like all my 'wild' idea's - feel free to come quote me post book 7 - I don't mind, I am someone who spent years speculating the series and while occasionally I get a few right - I have plenty wrong - but heck I still enjoy it!! :D

halliemei

Time Turners
Don't worry Alz (not that you are, but still ;) ). I am with you. I also have a belief in HiaH so I guess that's why -- but it just makes sense that Harry's a goner with Voldemort. I have a slight theory on how it would happen and be horribly tragic and poignant at the same time, But I really hope I'm wrong. Perhaps as I think on it more I can post it. Regardless, I think Harry has to die. I also think that redemption is a part of the story and that there has to be something with the phoenix references so I don't think it'll necessarily be the end for Harry.

Who are the two? First, I think that it's two that weren't originally planned. I also think they are on the "good" side because "we're dealing with pure evil here" which would necessitate the death coming at the hands of the evil. Who? Hmmmm . . . man I keep changing. I have thought Hagrid wouldn't make the series all along, so not him. Maybe a DA member (Neville or Luna). But, Neville might be planned all along. I'm not one to doubt that. Luna, maybe. I'm kinda thinking Remus Lupin and Tonks. I think the plan was to let them live it out and get married and all and she boxed herself into a corner somewhere and had to eliminate them. That's all I can come up with. The Weasley's? Well, they weren't all going to make it anyway, were they? All these other pure families dying out left and right and this HUGE family of 9 ALL makes it? Yeah, right!

Who got the reprieve? I just don't know. I'm hoping it's Ron. I will say it right away. I have thought he would die for many reasons and even read the end of book 6 up front to make sure that he didn't! I have quite an adoration for that little red-headed boy and would cry for days over him! (Heck, I even cried when his sim in my Sims2 game died!). Outside of him, just don't know.

Professor Sprout

Time Turners
I think it will definitely be Harry to go at the end of book seven. JK has hinted before that there could be no sequel to book seven - that it would be the end. When asked if there might be a book after book seven, she laughed and said " No.. there will be no 'Harry goes to university" (or words to that effect). Harry and Draco, I think - I am sure Draco is tied into book seven in a big way, and I think he will overcome Voldemort and his family background, come over from the dark side and make good, fighting to the death with Harry. Remember Dumbledore's "It is our choices, not our abilities that show who we are" - great moral ending for the book....
Over and out,
Sprout

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
You know I was also thinking about the fate of Lupin and Tonks - I mean them getting it on at the end of HBP seemed like the kiss of death - kind of the same for Ron and Hermione ... cruel twists of fate and all ...
Still, I also like the idea of a DA member or two - I hope not Luna because I think she will prove to be important and is someone I can relate to ... Neville, well once again I think him and the Longbottom's will be a feature in book 7 - so dont want him dead - Ginny is a possiblity - I just think we need to loose a Weasley or two - which when JKR said a couple of reprieves I thought of the twins and 'you know poo' coming back to haunt them ... has to be a Weasley I think because they are such big players in the series ... ummm

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
No I still don't buy Harry getting it in the end. As said above, it would be horible for the younger fans. Yes, the ones who started reading when it started are in their teens and can handle it, but . . . some started after book 5, maybe even after book 6, still at a young age, my kids for example only started a year and a half ago, at age 7 and 9, in another year they will be 10 and 13 when book 7 comes out . . . still too young to not get the wrong message. Besides, I think that JKR kows that just Kiling Harry off will not keep people from making unauthorized sequels to the series. There could be prequels, or parallel storylines brought out that don't concern Harry specificaly. So Killing Harry would prove nothing.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
But it would remove her temptation to pick up the pen and write the series on ...
It just makes so much sense overall to have Harry removed from the series at the end ... given all the suffering, killing and sacrifice that got him to book 7 it seems fitting he also goes out the same way - and by doing this it does give the right messages - unselfish actions and sacrifice to help others should be valued above all else - and Harry is where he is because of sacrifice - would be fitting to have him removed under the same rules - he doesn't fear death.
I think most people have accepted that JKR has killed enough people, shown death and destruction that she isn't scared of showing youngsters that side of the story - so I don't see why people think it would give off the wrong signals - a true Gryffindor is brave and noble - and if Harry dies doing this - why would it wreck things ...
Sorry - had these arguments from people when I suggested Dumbledore would die and yet he was killed off just fine by JKR ... and he personified goodness and kindness to pretty much everyone!

Well I don't think she will kill Harry Potter, but as Trelawney is always predicting it I wouldn't say it won't happen. Because one of her reltives was named Cassandra and in mthology one of the punishments given to Cassandra was that. However her omens are true no one would believe her... and don't forget that all the times she predicted harry's death he almost died a few paragraphs after....

Sir Cadogan

Noble Heart, Steely Sinew
What I found amazing in this recent public appearance in New York was the wording of JKR's statement that DD was dead: "he won't be doing a Gandalf". Now that tells us a lot about how deeply she is inside Tolkien's world, doesn't it? - So the easy thing for her would be to follow the "Lord of the Rings" pattern: Frodo (=Harry) hero must "pass away", go beyond the curtain and join Sirius there ... and it is for the good companion Sam (=Ron) to enjoy life and a happy and prosperous family.
This is precisely why I think it won't happen like that - because JKR wouldn't want to imitate Tolkien. Or would she?

Last edited:

cagedcactus

Sherbet Lemon
Fortescue said:
Well, if she kills off Harry in the final book I'm going to box all my HP books up and mail them to her house. I would honestly be disappointed in that ending!
Count me in too. I will box my books, my DVDs, my t-shirts and collectibles and send them all to her and then say, "Here you go. Now you have one less person to worry about writing Harry Potter anymore after you are gone."

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
whereas i will do the opposite and bring him back. i don't see why it couldn't happen, i mean, how many times has someone on those day-time soaps been brought back to life? ;) :p
i could never part with my books, and i would be sad that Harry is dead, if that is the way she goes, but it also depends on the circumstances of his death, really. he could die in battle, he could die saving Ginny or someone equally as likeable. He could die saving Snape :eek: or, he could die of old age...having lost his magic powers hhhhh (or not).

SnapeLovesLily

Time Turners
Im just going to list the names of the possibily doomed characters. I think Wormtail is a definate, but I don't classify him as a main character. Snape I believe will die,but not before confessing his good intentions!! I don't think Malfoy will die,but I think Ron will thump him good. I agree with ALZ on the fact that "the book started with sacrifice and will end in sacrafice" That's exactly how Jk writes in that cycling process, just like the bird in the jar, hatching and dying over and over. Hagrid reminds me of Chewbacca. And in the Star Wars books Chewy goes the way of the Buffalo by saving Han Solo's kids. I think Hagrid will meet his end in a gloriuos battle like Chewy did. I don't think any of the Weaslys die. Hopefully. I want Arthur to be Minister of Magic. I don't think HP dies, but this thought crosses my mind quite a bit. In the Mirror of Erised Ron see's himself with the house cup and all that jazz. That pretty much came true in HBP. HP saw himself with his parents and about ten other members of his family. For that to come true he has to die to join them. Foreshadowing is another one of JK's tricks. Oh and Sirius is still alive.:D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I like your thinking SnapeLovesLily :D
That last part, not even I made that connection but seems right doesn't it - in order for Harry to be with his family - he has to die - not least because JKR said we will never see an alive Lily and James. Harry does not fear death - all these people who died in his short lifetime has gone to show Harry that when the time is right, you can help others and be honourable - then death really is nothing to fear and the next great adventure. I think a deceased Harry will really end the books, will regain parity on a freak event that transpired 15 years before - cyclic and all, he should have died that night - instead he lived - now it is time to finish the job, finally kill Voldemort and join his family ... the end!
A tragic hero is always better than 'lived happily ever after' - too Disney!

SnapeLovesLily

Time Turners
Alz said:
That last part, not even I made that connection but seems right doesn't it - in order for Harry to be with his family - he has to die - not least because JKR said we will never see an alive Lily and James. Harry does not fear death - all these people who died in his short lifetime has gone to show Harry that when the time is right, you can help others and be honourable - then death really is nothing to fear and the next great adventure. I think a deceased Harry will really end the books, will regain parity on a freak event that transpired 15 years before - cyclic and all, he should have died that night - instead he lived - now it is time to finish the job, finally kill Voldemort and join his family ... the end!

What if Lily dying for Harry and Harry not dying that night has somehow broken the cycle. I may just be reaching here, but it seem possible. Right? Speaking of that fateful night, has there been a thread were it's discussed wether or not there was someone else there that night besides Lily James HP and Voldemort? Just curious.

cagedcactus

Sherbet Lemon
Alz said:

Oh Laddie, you are going to break so many hearts giving JKR ideas like that.
:D
I mentioned in other forums, and will mention again. If she killed Harry, I am sending all my books, DVDS, HP collectibles back to her on overnight shipping.
I think one of the Weasleys have got to go. There are just too many of them. Percy would do just fine.
Here is my thinking:
Remus has a debt of friendship. He lost James and Sirius. He will kill wormtail or Greyback or both and will die along with them.
Snape will die proving at last that his loyalties were with Order, not Dark lord.
Hagrid looks like a posibility too. But JKR loves him too much. So you never know.

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
i like the idea of Harry getting to be with his family again, as much as i don't want him to die, i think he deserves eternal happiness.
it might touch on religion a bit too much though, going in to the afterlife thing. but i guess we've seen the come from Voldemort's wand, seeing them come to take Harry (save him from Nearly Headless Nick) would be nice.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
SnapeLovesLily said:
What if Lily dying for Harry and Harry not dying that night has somehow broken the cycle. I may just be reaching here, but it seem possible. Right? Speaking of that fateful night, has there been a thread were it's discussed wether or not there was someone else there that night besides Lily James HP and Voldemort? Just curious.
See that is my thought as well - by Lily keeping Harry alive, she almost kept Voldemort alive but also created the tools to kill him ... OK, that prolly made no sense!
It all seems cyclic - if you break the cycle - you have a start and an end - in this case they all seem to come back to the Fateful night ... so look at what happened that might have continued the cycle and then break it - Voldemort was almost killed, Harry should have been killed ... something stepped in the way and prevented this freak outcome .. but I think all they did was postpone the date with death until Harry could also ensure Voldemort dies as well ...
It's like the Sirius thing - he was doomed to die, they prevented his death in PoA but it was merely a postponement versus prevention!

Lovegood54

Luna's Biggest Fan!
(falls into a fetal position and rocks back and forth muttering "Not Luna, Not Luna, Anyone But Luna" over and over again)

ok, i really hope she doesnt kill Luna b/c if she did i might just have to cry for three days in mourning. who do i think she will kill? i wanna say one of the weasleys because it will affect harry the most and will push him to take on voldemort. i also wanna say Lupin, because he is harry's last link to knowing what his parents were, and the last of the marauders, who harry would actually talk to. so, yeah, i hope i am wrong, but i think that those are the people she is most likely to kill.

Snuffles

the keepr of the Veil
Did we all notice that JKR killed off all four of the original Marauders?

James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus?

:(

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I had guessed that she would do that, it seemed right somehow. I had hoped though that Peter Pettigrew would have repented and actively worked for Harry in the end and could have died a true marauder.