Snape: JKR's Clue?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
JKR World Book Day Chat said:
Ernie: I wonder if you can let us know what form will Professor Snape's Boggart and Patronus take? I am very curious.

JK Rowling replies -> Well, I'm not going to tell you Ernie, but that's because it would give so much away. I wonder whether Ernie is your real name? (It was my grandfather's).

Came across this as I was looking for something - anyone wanna guess what JKR is trying to say here?

Lily

Wingardium Leviosa
I dont know about the significance of the Patronus - but the formation of the Boggart - being something that Snape is afraid of would probably reveal whether or not he is a traitor to the good guys or the bad guys. I would assume that being found out the the party that he is betraying would be his ultimate fear, so his Boggart would either turn out to be Voldemort or Dumbledore...

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
I can't think what Snape's Patronus would look like, but think that perhaps his Boggart would have something to do with what Harry saw during Occlumency classs - remember the bit about the skinny kid crying when a man was shouting at a woman? Perhaps his father??

Boing

Pops in randomly
I take it from the quote, though, that we might find out what they are by the end of the series. It is interesting that *both* of the answers would give something away.

I can see where the boggart would give away what his greatest fear is (and I have to agree that it would most likely be being found out as a spy by whichever side he doesn't want to be found out by) - that makes sense.

However, I can't see why telling us what his patronus is could give anything away. What do we know about patronuses so far? They usually have some sort of character trait or relationship with the person - we know that Harry's is a stag, like his father's animagus. That could show the link between the strength of both in the face of danger. We know Hermione's is an otter, which is supposed to mean intelligence and playfulness (the intelligence part fits) and Cho's is a swan - I assume graceful is one of her traits. Finally, Dumbledore's is a phoenix (another interesting association with him and phoenixes).

What could Snape's patronus be that it would give something away about his personality or relationships with others? I really wish we knew why people's patronuses take certain shapes.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I used to think that Snape's patronus would have been a bat - till JKR killed that rumour :(
I find this highly interesting - because we know JKR isnt afraid to answer most questions but every so often a benign question comes along and she pull the kind of response we see above.

I am liking that thinking that the boggart could be Voldemort or Dumbledore - but lets face it he see's Dumbledore daily and doesnt seem to sweat - and then we assume he has been in the presence of Voldemort recently as well - so I dont think it would be them.
Then we had the great one about it being his Dad - that indeed seems to be a good guess as well - consistant - but my only thing against it would be se have seen Snape open his mind to this event before and he seemed more mad than afraid ...

My best guess on Boggart - I have 2 ...
One would be one of the Potters - either Lily or James - but than is only based on the fact that I think he had a hand in their demise somewhere ... most likely James, because he did seem to be afraid under that front ...
Second one would be the first person he killed as a Death Eater - it was obviously something he didnt like hence why he became an allie of Dumbledore - and I think the first person he kills will be the one thing he is scared of seeing again ...

The Patronus is more difficult - I have to go with the flow and it has never really been that significant what a persons patronus is - but seems JKR eludes to that in the above statement ...

SeleneBlack

Time Turners
I disagree, the Patronus form is extremely important. To me, the patronus is what makes you feel safe or takes you to a good place or an animal you relate to while also signifying something about your personality. Knowing Snape's patronus would show us where he finds his strength, what animal it is that he most closely relates to. It would give us such a big clue about his personality.

The boggart is important as well. I like the idea that it would be someone he murdered or one of the Potters. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Harry. Take the idea that he wronged the Potters or had a hand in their death add to it the power Harry has and there are good reason for Snape to fear Harry. I also have a theory about Harry, maybe not so much a theory but more like a nagging feeling, that he is someone to be feared.

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
My favorite theory so far is that his boggart could be Voldemort or Dumbledore. It would truly show where his loyalties lie, and I think that it would be a cool twist, but I am also starting to like the theory that his boggart could be one of the people he killed as a DE or that it could be Harry or one of the Potters.

As for his Patronus, I am not sure what kind of animal could make Snape feel safe. I wonder if there are any people that have duplicate patronus's, such as a person looks up to another so much and tries to resemble them, that they would have the same patronus...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
SeleneBlack said:
The boggart is important as well. I like the idea that it would be someone he murdered or one of the Potters. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Harry. Take the idea that he wronged the Potters or had a hand in their death add to it the power Harry has and there are good reason for Snape to fear Harry. I also have a theory about Harry, maybe not so much a theory but more like a nagging feeling, that he is someone to be feared.

OK, now you have my attention!
You know, we have wild speculation forums if you feel it lacks a certain amount of credability - sign up and take advantage - I know I did :eek:
Harry would be an interesting one - I really like it!
Snape probably is worried about the day Harry finds out his part in his parents demise - especially since Snape seems to have given Harry hell over his schooling life (Matter of debate!) and Harry with all this agression and now fear might be capable of doing some powerful magic if he was so motivated!
Or it could just be the shame of what he did that makes him fear Harry - like it alot

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
Ok my first thought was that his patronus is a bat, but like Blaise mentioned that was shot down. I think he is a vampire but that is for another post. To me he is more like a snake than anything, snakes ring the traitor bell in my head, i donno why.

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
JKR has confirmed that Snape is not a vampire, so I don't think it is a bat. I like the idea that Snape's boggart could be a person, like James or Lily. I am not sure what his patronus could be, although I think it will show us a new side of him...

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
I think Snape's boggart would be his grandfather. At least that was the connection I made from what JKR said.
His patronus is probably something unlikely (my first thought was Lily, but he didn't like her!). Do all patronus take the form of an animal, is what I am wondering. A snake sounds most likely, but so far all the patronus' we have seen have been less...well...scary...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
You know - i dont think she said that as a 'hint' but more as a digression - I mean the granfather part.

I start to wonder if Snapes boggart would actually be the person he is choosing to decieve between Dumbledore and Voldemort?
Going by his actions and dicussions elsewhere - being a spy in both camps must render his pretty worried that one or both will find out his true intentions and as such - exposure would be his real weakness and fear ...

Athena

Time Turners
I'm thinking that maybe Snapes boggart would be the teenager he was at Hogwarts. He would be afraid of that person who James liked to curse, "just because he exists"

He isn't well liked now, but he also isn't constantly on his guard for the hexes and always watching for the Marauders all the time. He is "respected" by most at least as a Potions Master, and Dumbledore trusts him.

I think the same things that drew him to Voldemort -- will be the what he fears most. or at least the person that he was at the time he joined Voldemort.

As for the Patronus??? I honestly don't think we will see what his Patronus would be. As it was said many times, even grown wizards cannot perform the Patronus Charm.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Well if a patronus reflects your personality, or character, I would say a weasle.

On the boggart, I think Harry dead would be his boggart. As much as he seems to hate Harry, he is often there to protect him when it comes down to it. There have been many times, that he could have simply sat aside and watched Harry die but he didn't. I think he may be bound in some way to watch out for Harry, perhaps because he had a role in his parents death.

Sevstrueluve

Time Turners
I agree that his boggart is probably a person and having something to do with the Potters. My opinion is that Severus's bogart is probably Lily being killed. He liked her when they were in school and probably fell in luve with her. But, since James and he were rivals and James wanted her, too, he never got the girl. And never got over her, either. Not to mention the fact that Severus had to hide his true feelings from his House mates. Slytherins didn't associate with Gryffindors for they were hated rivals. Severus was already having to cover the fact that he was actually a half-blood and not a pureblood. So Lily dying would probably be a good guess as to his boggart.
On to the Patronus. I have stated before on a totally different post that I believe that Severus saw Albus Dumbledore as a father figure. Meaning he was always closeted with Albus somewhere conversing about Voldemort and Severus's role as double agent. Fawkes, the phoenix, was probably present as well. So, here's a wild idea. What about Fawkes ? Could Fawkes be his patronus ? Severus trusted Albus, more thahn likely with his life, and vice versa. So, if Fawkes represented Albus, I would venture that as a guess to be his patronus. Fawkes.

Mr_Bandman

Time Turners
A person's Patronus and their Animagus form are the same. It would be very interesting if Snape's Patronus was a phoenix----that could say an awful lot about his relationship to Dumbledore----Harry's Patronus is the same as his father's, after all....
As much fun as that thought is, I really think it likely that Snape's Patronus/Animagus form is a really big snake.....which opens up a whole new can of worms. Harry was in the head of a really big snake......who else's head had Harry been in at around the same time? Hmmm......

Padma Patil

Dumbledore's Girl
Mr Bandman said:
A person's Patronus and their Animagus form are the same.

Where does it say this? I thought they could be different forms. With a patronus, the form picks you off of what you believe and who you are. With an animagus form, you pick it. Like McGonagall chose to be a cat. James chose to be a stag. Harry's patronus is a stag only because he idolizes his father and is like him in more ways than just appearance.

Back on topic though... I think as everybody else has been saying that Snapes Boggart could give alot of information away. But based on what I said above, his patronus could too. It would betray his alligiance to either the Order or to Voldemort. I think that Snapes greatest fear is being found out. I don't know how a boggart would express that, but that is what I think it is.

Mr_Bandman

Time Turners
JKR said that. She was asked in an interview whether a person's patronus and animagus form would take the same form and she answered "yes".

Norbert

Time Turners
"JK Rowling replies -> Well, I'm not going to tell you Ernie, but that's because it would give so much away. I wonder whether Ernie is your real name? (It was my grandfather's)."

I think that this is a wonderfull play on words by JKR. Why on earth would she ask Ernie if that was his real name? And then mention that it was her grandfathers name...

Relate both of these facts to Snape.

What is his real name? He was using (to himself anyway) an alter ego - THBP! This may have been his boggart. Being found that he at one time called himself THBP! Having Voldemort find out he was a half blood, having Dumbledore find out that he fasioned himself an alter ego (like Voldemort) to separate himself from his muggle name - Snape. How would a boggart represent this?

"It was my grandfather's" - Snape, like most of us would have had two grandfaters... One named Snape = Muggle, and one named Prince = magical. Part of the Boggart answer or something to do with his Patronus? Who knows? Harry's patronus was = to his Father's Anigmas. I wonder if Snape's Patronus is = his Grand daddy Prince's Anigmas???

Kellerelli

Time Turners
I disagree, the Patronus form is extremely important. To me, the patronus is what makes you feel safe or takes you to a good place or an animal you relate to while also signifying something about your personality. Knowing Snape's patronus would show us where he finds his strength, what animal it is that he most closely relates to. It would give us such a big clue about his personality.

This is probably the reason that Snape is so mean to Harry. He is tring to counteract his fear. He is probably afraid of what Harry could do to him, especially after Harry found out about Snape causing the deaths of his parents. But I am guessing that he is also afraid what might happen to him, by Voldemort, if something were to happen to Harry. Which is why he keeps saving Harry.