Snape: JKR's Clue?

cagedcactus

Sherbet Lemon
I read and read after going through Alz's confusion in first post. Since JKR wants to hide the facts about Snape's patronus and boggart, it must be important and will be seen in book 7.
which also brings the confusion about his fears and his strengths. His strength is magical potions and spell and his cunningness. I can relate that to a magical creature being his patronus. His patronus must be a powerful creature.
His boggart cant possibly be voldemort or DD. :rolleyes:
He spent ton of years with DD with DD's trust and respect. He worked for Voldemort and continued to pose as a DE in front of him for so many years. I think his fears can be the guilt that he has from that prophecy. His boggart could be James, or Lily or Sirius for that matter.
Now how these relate to Ernie being a real name, or a grandfather, is confusing to me, but I agree with Alz. There is a message there for sure.
:D

keeron_man_boy

Accio Deathly Hallows!!
ive just had a quick think bout this..

now lets think of when snape would use a patronus...

to communicate with the order

and or to fight off dementors..

if snape is on the dark side we know he wont use a patronus against the dementors as they have started to leave azkaban to side with voldemort and wont need to contact the order either..

which to me points too snape is on the good side.. how else are we going to know what patronus snape has unless he uses it.

so i think its obvious that from that answer JKR gave means snape is going to use the patronus charm to fight off dementors or contact the order :D

as for what they could be..

boggart.
if snape was on the..
good side: harrys dead body??
bad side: voldemorts dead body??

patronus.
good: ....
bad: ...

no idea on the patronus lol

Last edited:

cagedcactus

Sherbet Lemon
No, that is not necessary. As we saw and learned in POA when dementors were introduced, that regardless of which side they are on, they will not leave you alone if you crossed their paths. They are not forgiving types. And just like Harry has true horrors in his past, Snape does too. So even if he is bad, he could very well end up launching a patronus to save himself from a dementor.
Boggart debate is open too. Too hard to predict here. JKR is genius. :D

keeron_man_boy

Accio Deathly Hallows!!
hmmm i should looks that up..

i got the impression that a dementor takes away all the happy/positive feelings and leaves you with all the unhappy/negative feelings

so i dind't think snape would have any happy memories :p

but yeah thanks caged

Edge_Head

Time Turners
I am liking that thinking that the boggart could be Voldemort or Dumbledore - but lets face it he see's Dumbledore daily and doesnt seem to sweat - and then we assume he has been in the presence of Voldemort recently as well - so I dont think it would be them.

But if you think back to POA Hermione's fear was Prof.Mcgonagall TELLING her she failed, not McGonagall herself although she was indeed involved in the telling of the news.
SO for the bogart being either LV or DD, it would be them LEARNING of his true sidings, either LV or DD. That would be why he is confident in being in their precences now as either know of his true loyalties.

cagedcactus

Sherbet Lemon
hmmm i should looks that up..

i got the impression that a dementor takes away all the happy/positive feelings and leaves you with all the unhappy/negative feelings

so i dind't think snape would have any happy memories :p

but yeah thanks caged

no you stated exactly opposite.
A dementor feasts on your worst and negative memories. you can concentrate on a positive and a strong memory to create patronus, which will drive dementors away.
Time to read books again, mate.....
:D

Patronus - a snake, because no matter what his current loyalty is, he was once a DE and will always be a Slytherin. The irony is, he'd probably conjure his patronus by thinking of his favorite moment of tormenting poor Harry.

Boggart - the truth, because when one lives with so many false faces for so long, one tends to fear who they really are. I don't know how "truth" would manifest itself, but I'd be willing to be it'd look a lot like young Mr. Potter.

secret seeker

The Half Blood Prince
your right again, Keeron man boy, if a patronus was anything of a giveaway, the order would surely have picked up on it...I just thought....Snapes animagus form cant be a bat, right.....well, what if Snape is A DEMENTOR in animagus form?. Would it even be possible?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Im actually am starting to think his boggart would be Lily Evans - I think seeing her again after he put in place the sequence of events that lead to her death would scare him silly ... more remorse and shame but still it would scare him to have to look into her eyes knowing what he had done ...

secret seeker

The Half Blood Prince
Yeeaah, I could just picture Lily coming out of a wardrobe exactly how Snape remembers her from hogwarts, say, and her looking at him, through him, her gaze unmoving and devoid of life yet at the same time hiding a secret malice and hatred towards the man she/the boggart would be looking at (Snape). I could just see Snape squirming under her gaze, couldnt you?
Good point alz...

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
I disagree, the Patronus form is extremely important. To me, the patronus is what makes you feel safe or takes you to a good place or an animal you relate to while also signifying something about your personality. Knowing Snape's patronus would show us where he finds his strength, what animal it is that he most closely relates to. It would give us such a big clue about his personality.

The boggart is important as well. I like the idea that it would be someone he murdered or one of the Potters. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was Harry. Take the idea that he wronged the Potters or had a hand in their death add to it the power Harry has and there are good reason for Snape to fear Harry. I also have a theory about Harry, maybe not so much a theory but more like a nagging feeling, that he is someone to be feared.
I think one reason Snape is so hard on Harry is because he, Snape, has a very deep understanding of the situation - and he knows that it will be Harry who decides the fate of all.

Snape disliked Harry's father, and now he sees the same arrogance in Harry. He also sees a lack of attention to detail, and a lack of ability - in potions, in occlumancy, in concentration. And he knows that they all rely on this arrogant, ill-disciplined. lazy brat.
I genuinely believe had Harry shown more aptitude to occlumancy, Snape would have looked upon him more kindly. He was of course correct in everything he said to Harry in OotP, and it was Harry's obstinancy, and inability to control his emotions that lead to Sirius's death.

Like a game of Quidditch, where the seeker pretty much determines the game, like the third Matrix film, where the war is irrelevant if Neo fails, Harry must defeat Voldemort, or no-one will. Snape understands this.

Ron

Time Turners
How about Snape's Patronus being a chameleon? That it can change its color to fit its background. This would be descriptive of Snape being able to fit in the presence of Voldy and Dumbly.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Intereting thought there Ron - would seem to fit right in with the way Snape can move between good and evil and fit right in there!

I'm guessing JKR's reluctance to answer this question suggests either the boggart or the patronus is significant. I think the boggart represents the most fundemental here as it will show what his real fear is - and to date we have never really seen Snape afraid of anything ...

jimbo716

Time Turners
Voldemort rules by force and fear. If his(snape's) boggart were to become Voldemort, it would tell us nothing. I have to believe that anyone working for the DL fears him more than anyone else. I wonder if Harry's boggart would still be a dementor now that he knows how to protect himself from them.

Last edited:

Lovegood54

Luna's Biggest Fan!
maybe the reason JKR is reluctant to tell us what snape's boggart and patronus are is because it would show us who he is and not so much which side he's on? what if snape's boggart took the form of a dementor? what would that say? it would show that Snape is a lot like harry (afterall, harry looked upon the HBP as a friend, until he found out who the prince really was). this would show that snape is actually alot like harry, and maybe thats the reason snape hates harry? because harry reminds him of himself... along these lines, its not harry he is afraid of, and he is also not afraid of being found out. what snape truly fears is what harry fears: fear itself.
also, as far as his patronus, it would reveal what snape is liek as a person. and it wouldnt give away which side he is on either, because he has already used it (probably more than once) to contact the Order. so, maybe his patronus is something the opposite of what swans are (swans the animal are pretty on the outside, by are very vicious birds, so rotton on the inside). so, snapes patronus would be a creature that looks and acts mean and vicious on the outside, but on the inside is actually nice and caring. cnat think of a creature myself, but hey, maybe someone else can. if i think of one, i'll repost and tell ya.

Tashi

Time Turners
Interesting theory there!! I haven't a clue what JKR might do but she is a very clever writer and I'm confident that she'll keep everyone guessing for as long as possible.

gbogbo

Time Turners
maybe the reason JKR is reluctant to tell us what snape's boggart and patronus are is because it would show us who he is and not so much which side he's on? what if snape's boggart took the form of a dementor? what would that say? it would show that Snape is a lot like harry (afterall, harry looked upon the HBP as a friend, until he found out who the prince really was). this would show that snape is actually alot like harry, and maybe thats the reason snape hates harry? because harry reminds him of himself... along these lines, its not harry he is afraid of, and he is also not afraid of being found out. what snape truly fears is what harry fears: fear itself.
also, as far as his patronus, it would reveal what snape is liek as a person. and it wouldnt give away which side he is on either, because he has already used it (probably more than once) to contact the Order. so, maybe his patronus is something the opposite of what swans are (swans the animal are pretty on the outside, by are very vicious birds, so rotton on the inside). so, snapes patronus would be a creature that looks and acts mean and vicious on the outside, but on the inside is actually nice and caring. cnat think of a creature myself, but hey, maybe someone else can. if i think of one, i'll repost and tell ya.

And that would be Snape himself!!!

If Snape would see himself, then would that indicate his greatest fear is that he fears that he will betray himself/Dumbledore/the good side when crunch time finally comes?

Last edited:

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I've always thought his patronus would be a bat. We have been given many clues to this and it is suspected to be his animagus form if he indeed does transform. and the bat would fit nicely into your idea as well as being the opposite of the swan . . . many fear bats and think of them as vile pests, but they are caring parents to their young, and actualy are very helpful in controling insect populations. Here in the southern US, they are actualy bred and encouraged in certain areas to help controll mosquitos!

Lovegood54

Luna's Biggest Fan!
THATS IT! the bat, good job sirius! and no, snape wouldnt be afraid of himself, at least not for the way you phrased it. i dont know what side snape is one, but i am pretty sure he doesnt fear himself, afterall he is such a good occlumens that neither voldemort nor dumbledore (the two greatest wizards of the age) know if he is lieing. after all, if he is hood winking either of them, it shows how skilled an occlumens he is. so, i doubt he fears he will give himself away, because he is a cunning and clever wizard and (usually) very level headed, and would be able to come up with a believeable excuse at any occasion (after all, if he is on the good side, he is able to convince Voldemort that he was loyal and remained at hogwarts all those years without killing harry sufficiently enough that Voldy didnt kill him, AND if he is evil, then he has come up with enough excuses to provide dumbledore firm confidence that he has switched sides.) oh, and to show how clever he is, he was able to create advanced spells when he was only in his sixth year, the same can be said of hermione who was casting NEWT level spells in her 5th year (i think snape may have been doing the same, call me crazy if you want :p ) all the evidence in the books goes to show that whatever happens, Snape will probably be able to wriggle out of any situation.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Lovegood54 said:
whatever happens, Snape will probably be able to wriggle out of any situation.

You see . . . that is most certainly true . . . and what totaly scares me . . . what if . . . JKR lets him "wriggle" out of touble again, and we never do find out for certain just what side he truly sides with???????:eek: You see, which ever side wins in the end, he can "wriggle" it to seem as if he was truly on that side from the begining, it will be believable, and none will be the wiser . . . not even us:(