Sorting Hat/Gryffindor Sword

cj633

Time Turners
Well if it was able to get the sword in CoS I guess it could get it magically from the goblin. It was able to summon the sword or something. ( Big surprise to the goblin.) When I first read it I thought that Neville just used the fake sword, but I guess he would he need a magical sword to kill the snake since it was a horcrrux.

happy_hannah

Time Turners
despite what goblins think about truly owning everything they make a true gryffindor can always get the sword, i can just see the sword disappearing from the goblins greedy hands and him shouting 'noooooo!'

Piper

Time Turners
I was getting a vision of the hat hitting the goblin on the head until he got a headache and dropped the sword. lol

Tonks

Unspeakable
Well she answered this one in her Web Chat - transcript here
Su: How did neville get the gryfindor sword, is there a link to the hat

J.K. Rowling: Yes, there is very definitely a link to the hat!

J.K. Rowling: Neville, most worthy Gryffindor, asked for help just as Harry did in the Chamber of secrets, and Gryffindor’s sword was transported into Gryffindor’s old hat

J.K. Rowling: – the Sorting Hat was Gryffindor’s initially, as you know.

J.K. Rowling: Griphook was wrong – Gryffindor did not ‘steal’ the sword, not unless you are a goblin fanatic and believe that all goblin-made objects really belong to the maker.
I'd forgotten that the Sorting Hat was originally Gryffindor's [it tells us itself, in the first sorting song..] I kind of like that the sword came back into the story and didn't just stay with Griphook. That would've been a bit of a disappointment considering how Griphook was kind of a little snob.

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
I'm not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but when the sword came to Harry in the Griffindor hat in the chamber, wasn't the sword missing at the time? Or was it always in Dumbledore's office? I think at the time that the sword came to Harry, the only Griffindor item left in the Headmasters office was the sorting hat.

I think the sword was missing when it came to Harry and it was missing again when it came to Neville. Apparently, the sword alway comes back to the hat when it is needed.

cagedcactus

Sherbet Lemon
Well, JKR just answered that in the latest interview.
She says that the Goblin was wrong about the Sword being a property of Goblins. It was fully paid for by Godric, and it was truly Gryffindor sword. Any true Gryffindor, who needed the sword in desperate position, would be able to get it.

Now we have to think here. She didnt mention that to be able to get the sword, whether you needed the sorting hat around you or not. Because it was pulled both the times from sorting hat.