Spinner's End, Draco's Detour, and Felix Felicis

Tonks

Unspeakable
Before Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince came out, J.K. Rowling treated us to the titles of three of her chapters:

Chapter 2: Spinner's End
Chapter 6: Draco's Detour
Chapter 14: Felix Felicis

Now that you have read the book, did you correctly guess what any of these chapter titles really are?
Were you surprised about what any of these meant?
If so, which one(s) specifically and how come?

Post any and all thoughts relating between the chapter titles and the chapters themselves here!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
OK - read the book and here is my score

Chapter 2: Nope
Chapter 6: Nope
Chapter 14: Hope

In fact - I am pretty sure we will all be going nope, nope, nope - and that shows how excellent JKR is at giving clues and yet everyone still fails to guess ... we most of them at least :D

Spinner's end did kind of shock me - I'm not sure I ever suspected that - will have to go check that thread.

Draco's Detour well many of us were guessing it was either a mental detour or physical - yet no-one I think guessed the physical location of the detour - so well done JKR again!

Felix, I think, was a person from everyone I saw here - so it wont come as a suprise that I was shocked when I read what it was - so yah ... another great JKR moment as she had a huge part of us thinking it was the person she described on her site - the cat like person ..

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
I am like Blaise, and never considered that Felix Felicis wasn't a person (I do wonder if it wasn't named after that person, though).

Spinner's End I had no hope of correctly guessing, nor with what was in it. THAT shicked me more than anything.

Draco's Detour was a HUGE let down for me. It wasn't even a detour, really. To be a detour, it should have meant he had to take a different route to get to the same location. Unless it was referring to what Draco was doing and not where he had gone...

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Tonks said:
Before Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince came out, J.K. Rowling treated us to the titles of three of her chapters:

Chapter 2: Spinner's End
Chapter 6: Draco's Detour
Chapter 14: Felix Felicis

Now that you have read the book, did you correctly guess what any of these chapter titles really are?
Were you surprised about what any of these meant?
If so, which one(s) specifically and how come?

Post any and all thoughts relating between the chapter titles and the chapters themselves here!

Spinner's End - I did a search of streets when we were discussing the other thread and found a street, I think it was in London, called Spinner's something, I don't remember if it was end or not, but it just doesn't have the impact it would have had if it were an island.

Draco's Detour - this was a really stupid chapter - it gave clues to Draco's actions, but didn't really stand up to the title.

Felix Felicis- this must have been the potion JKR told of that she couldn't think of a title for while writing so she simply called it "X". I thought it was a person myself - it's an odd name for a potion!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Found here - check some of these out!

OK - here goes ....

felix felicis : lucky, fortunate, happy

D'oh :rolleyes:

The SketchWolf

Time Turners
I guessed that Felix Filicis (anyone know how to pronounce it?) was a spell or potion, and I guess 'Spinner's End' was either a place or the death of a person.. a minor person, though. I knew the 'big death' wouldn't happen til later on in the book.

Tonks

Unspeakable
Straight nopes for me as well I do believe, although I suppose i was open enough to the idea that Spinner's End was a place - LOL ;)

Felix Filicis we really should've gotten, especially if we'd found that list Blaise found BEFORE the book came out - haha..

And Draco's Detour - that really wasn't all that hard I suppose, if we'd kept in mind that it was an early chapter and that it probably wasn't at Hogwarts yet and where we might see Draco before Hogwarts.. but oh well.. :p

I was pretty shocked at who lives at Spinner's End and that chapter and all that; Draco's Detour I suppose wasn't too surprising, but Felix Felicis really was because that was kind of random.. I did like Felix Felicis the most though..

Snuffles

the keepr of the Veil
Naw.. got NONE of them right.

* thought Spinner's End was something like the beginning of GoF, where Voldemort comes out and all.
* Draco's detour? I honestly thought Draco would somehow turn to good side. :( seems I was too hopeful, though. There were some random rumors going around that Draco would reform himself.
* didn't at ALL know what Felicx Felicis could be, but I randomly guessed that it might be a new character or the new DADA teacher, but, it seemed to be coming out so late into the books, so naw.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I never saw this one when it started, but . . . no biggie, because I had none of them right, can't remember what exactly all my guesses were. Funny thing though, one thing that many of us thought "Spinners End" was, was the death of Aragog. The neat thing is, that it did indeed happen in the book, but not in that particular chapter. I had insisted that it was a place, and not the spiders death, because there was no apostrophe on "Spinners".