**Spoiler - Regrets **

Seeker615

Ghosthunter
Someone on another site thought possibly that guilt is what was in that basin. The drinker is forced to remember anything that they felt guilty towards.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I guess that is possible - after all it would appear Voldemort has little regret in anything he does - as such he could drink that all day and not feel any ill effect.
I suppose it reminds me of the same argument about the room in DoM in OoTP - filled with love .... how do you take such an emotion and place it into a room?
Something has to personify the emotion to be able to harness it and lock it away - I guess this potion could be the personification of guilt - liquid guilt just like liquid luck - but it cant be guilt itself.
There is no doubt it was meant to disable the drinker - in that case I would argue perhaps it is liquid fear - in this case the fear lead to guilt?
It started with Dumbledore acting scared ...

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Alz said:
perhaps it is liquid fear - in this case the fear lead to guilt?
It started with Dumbledore acting scared ...
I like that Alz . . . I hadn't thought in that direction but it does make quite a bit of sense. We have spent so much time trying to figure out what had happened to DD that caused him so much anguish. We had assumed he was reliving something. but what if . . . like a bogart, the potion causes the drinker to see, feel, experience their worst fears. Dumbledore certainly fears what harm may come to Harry and the others in the quest that is before them. Seeing that quest end in their pain or destruction would indeed cause him most considerable anguish. hmmm . . . I'm liking it!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
It appeared somewhat logical to me that if you want to 'disable' someone, then fear is a good tactic. Look for someone's worse fears and most of the time if it is a real dark fear, they wont overcome it but instead be consumed by it. There if course is that element of the potion that makes the drinker thirsty and as such, has to dip into the inferi soaked water, I suppose that is yet again another side effect.
Everyone has regrets but the best way to bring it out is to look at their fears - I think that is what happened to Dumbledore.