The wand chooses the Wizard ...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
This is more of a question - but we had the famous line from Ollivander that the wand chooses the wizard ...
We also know that in Harry and Voldemort's case they share the same type ... we also know the effect when the brother wands meet each other ...

The question is this - did the same wand as Voldemort choose Harry because it sensed Voldemort in him?
We are told that Voldemort transferred some of his powers to Harry that night - as well as some other things - could it be that the wand had the same issues as the Sorting Hat - and sensing Voldemort in Harry?
Could it be that Harry isnt using what is his best wand because of this?

Boing

Pops in randomly
I guess I kind of got the impression from that line that the wand would only "perform" for the right wizard. The other wands either didn't do much of anything when Harry waved them or were crazy with the results. I think that what is meant by that is that only the correct person will be able to harness the power of the wand and use it correctly.

In that sense, I don't think Harry has the wrong wand because he has some of Voldemort in him. I think he has the wand that is most powerful for him, one that he can control, and one that "listens" to him in return.

Nagini

Time Turners
Blaise said:
This is more of a question - but we had the famous line from Ollivander that the wand chooses the wizard ...
We also know that in Harry and Voldemort's case they share the same type ... we also know the effect when the brother wands meet each other ...

The question is this - did the same wand as Voldemort choose Harry because it sensed Voldemort in him?
We are told that Voldemort transferred some of his powers to Harry that night - as well as some other things - could it be that the wand had the same issues as the Sorting Hat - and sensing Voldemort in Harry?
Could it be that Harry isnt using what is his best wand because of this?

In relation to another thread, Harry could have been handed that wand because Ollivander knew or suspected that it would sense Voldemort in Harry. Although Harry does not seem to sense anything bad about his wand, and is indeed quite fond of it and he also in the books tried out several wands before that wand chose him so perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree there. :p

What is also interesting about this is how Dumbledore comes into play again. The pheonix tail feathers in both wands come from his pheonix. I cannot help thinking that he is mixed up in this somewhere too.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think the film best captures what happens when a person gets the wrong wand - so I have to say that in order to perform magic properly - especially at that age of youth - the wand has to match ... in this case is the wand chosen in Harry's case because of him or it is the brother core seeing Voldemort and his initial selection of that wand?
Gini makes a good point - I wonder if fawkes/Dumbledore had any imput into this?

R

Rooster

Harry so far has been able to do some pretty powerful magic for the age he is - Most notably the Patronus which we have learned some adult wizards cannot even perform. I think that the wand he received was intended for him - Otherwise I doubt he would have been able to do some of the things he does.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Yah but see - is the wand channeling his side or the side imposed by Voldemort?
I think that the hat was seeing Voldemort in him - and just wonder if the same with the wand?

Granted he can do some great stuff - but is that actually him or is it the impression left by Voldemort?
This could go some way to explain Harry's ultimate fate - as in if the wand is channelling the Voldemort touch ... once Voldemort is gone from Harry, his head and life ... where would that leave him?

Just the brother cores and stuff ... just seems a really nice twist in my head :D

MissWhizbee

Time Turners
I have never really thought that the sorting hat saw Voldemort's traits in Harry, (they may have been similar traits to those Voldemort had, the thirst to prove ones self, smarts, bravery, but I don't think they were inherently Voldemort's traits alone). It seems that the sorting hat would have probably scene those same traits in Tom Riddle but they would have been self serving, whereas Harry's aspirations were humble in wanting to live up to everything everyone thought he was.

Maybe in the same way the wands could sense a love of the pheonix inside both Harry and Voldemort. Voldemort would love the bird because it represents eternal life (dying and being born again from its ashes). Harry loves the pheonix because it is a gentle animal, can heal, prizes loyalty, can carry a heavy burden, and its song is reassuring to him.

So maybe the similarities in Voldemort and Harry are really at opposition to each other and although both the wands and the sorting hat could see their similarities they also saw the differences that make them unique and as different from each other as they could possibly be. And so it wasn't just because Harry was similar to Voldemort but also because he was so far different from him that the wand with the pheonix feather core chose him and why he was put into Gryffindor instead of Slytherin.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I dont think Riddles obsession with death happened until he found out his mortaility was in question ....
But on the other hand - what if it runs deeper?
We know he lost his Mum during his birth - perhaps that made him want to live forever?

I agree it is all about choices - and indeed Voldemort's and Harry's paths seem vastly different ... but I really think the Hat was seeing Voldemort via Harry ... the spirit of Voldemort still had a profound effect on Harry even at that stage ...
It just seems to work in my head the similarities that JKR plays out between them - I used to think they would turn out to be related but JKR killed that at world book day chat ...
So I have been looking at other ways they could be linked ... and we know the scar is useful for that ... so I wonder if anyone looks into Harry's head they are seeing the full Harry and not a clouded Harry mixed with Voldemort's passed powers and mental link ...

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
I don't know if this is going on track a tad, but after reading the other posts here, and particularly Blaise's point about perhaps Harry doesn't have the right wand for him - what if in either HBP or Book 7 Harry gets another wand? Perhaps then the brother wand effect would not 'protect' Voldemort then, and Harry would be able to vanquish him?

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
I think that's a good idea Tink. It would certainly get rid of the not being able to defeat him with magic thing. I wonder if maybe Harry would get a new wand and Voldemort wouldn't know about it, so he would be wary to fight him using magic because of what happened the last time...

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Yah actually I wonder if that is about right?
I wonder if Harry will switch wands and catch Voldemort offside ...
I do think that the phoenix core is kinda right for Harry - I mean the Fawkes thing etc ...
.... OMG unles .... Umm that could be a thread for wild speculation!

Nagini

Time Turners
What :eek: you can't just leave it at that... ;)

On reflection it's possible that the wands chose Voldemort and Harry because of their other similarities. Voldemort is a half blood, his mother died when he was at a young age (giving birth to him no less), he never knew either of his parents. Harry lost both his parents because Voldemort murdered them, he didn't know either of them. They both had unhappy upbringings, Voldemort hated the orphanage and Harry, quite understandably hated the Dursleys and both are very gifted magically. Well we are reminded again and again that Harry is gifted but dont see a lot of it until it really matters - like producing a powerful patronus. We saw just how powerful Voldemort was, he almost became immortal.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - you know I think I forgot what I was gonna place in wild spec :eek:
I will re-read and see if I can get it back :p

We are told when Harry was attacked he inherited some of Voldemort's powers - as such he has some of Voldemort's traits ...
What if the wand picked up on the Voldemort part of Harry and not Harry himself?
What I mean to say is perhaps Harry isnt fulfilling his best because he is using a wand that sensed the strong Voldemort traits in him and such went for the similar kind of wand?
I wonder if Harry was to loose any of this Voldemort traits in him - he might get another wand that is more in tune with him?
It's like the sorting hat - it isnt a 100% correct process - I think the wand just saw the very strong powers of Voldemort in Harry ...

Boing

Pops in randomly
I was thinking that the wand somehow "knows" about the prophecy and put itself in Harry's hands because it knew that it could save him from some tough spots he got himelf into with Voldemort.

But my goodness, if Harry has the wrong wand and he can do the magic we have seen - :eek: that's one powerful little wizard! I can't imagine if that is true and he got the right wand . . .

Nagini

Time Turners
Actually what you have both been saying kinda makes sense. Hermione is always going on about Harry being a really powerful wizard and its mentioned throughout all the books. Everyone has built Harry up to be the one who managed to escape Voldemort four times and perform a patronus charm to get rid of the Dementors etc (I'm sure your all famillar with the books ;)). But if you actually look at it, Harry struggles with his studies and his magic through most of the books. The only thing he has found easy was flying the rest including the Patronus charm which I know is a powerful bit of magic took time for him to learn. Against Voldemort in the power stakes he just doesn't compare and he isn't even as powerful as Hermione who is a witch of his own age.

This could be attributed to the wand actually stopping Harry from reaching HIS own potential as it is only feeling the parts of Voldemort that passed over which so far haven't needed a wand - parseltongue and some kind of occulmency with Voldemort. If Harry is as powerful as he is made out to be, perhaps this wand is holding him back from becoming that powerful wizard as I am not convinced we have seen his full magical abilities yet.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
See I think if the wand is feeding off the essence of Voldemort that remains in Harry - then we will always have Priori Incatem if these two puppies start to rumble again ...
BUT, if indeed Harry's wand only chose him because of the Voldemort feelings - then it is plausible Harry would find true power in another wand - the deadlock could be broke and these two could duel to the death at some point ...
I know it seems a little out there - but maybe worth a thought or 2 - because when Harry and Voldemort do meet - then can use wands - then something has to give to break that deadlock.

Sirius-fan-forever

Time Turners
I think the wands choose the wizard based on probably several characteristics. Harry's wand is brother to voldemorts wand and we know that voldemort's powers got transferred to Harry during the attack. I don't think that these are trivial powers and that the wand only chose him because in essence it reminded him of voldemort. These powers that were transferred make the core powers in Harry very similar to voldemorts...aside from that and similarities in their personalities and circumstances in life. I think that this wand chosing Harry, if anything is beneficial. I dunno...but my theory still doesn't explain how the two will duel without one getting a new wand. So maybe there will be a change of wands for one reason or another.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
See that is the thing - we know the PI moment in GoF makes them unviable to fight via duel in the big ending - but if it is possible the wand picked up on the essence of Voldemort in Harry - one day he might pick up another wand and do many, many great things he couldnt do with his current one.
OT alert and asked in another thread - but I wonder how much of what Voldemort left in Harry that night made Harry what he is today? Just a point I like - dont debate that here please :eek:

yarvelling

Time Turners
It is indeed pretty clear from the first book that the wand chose Harry because it sensed/felt the power in him. I believe that the powers that Voldemort left in Harry are an integral part of Harry and his personality, and of course the root of his being a more powerful wizard than many of his fellow students. I don't believe that the wand is responsible for this power though; it is Harry alone, who through his developing years at Hogwarts is discovering magic and how to use it, is finding out slowly just how powerful he can be.
The wand, like the Sorting Hat, will have felt Harrys' inherant goodness, and courage, and as such is surely just a means of channeling the power that Harry tries to exert when casting spells, albeit a very powerful conduit!
I also don't feel that Harry would have to use a different wand in order to defeat Voldemort, as it was made clear in the first couple of books that a different wand as never as effective as your own 'chosen' wand. Harry's wand, like Harry, if it is to defeat Voldemort, will almost certainly be able to chanel Harry's power effectively, as we saw in GoF, and as Harry's powers increase then so will his wands' power.
Of course, the words of the profecy (OotP) are ambiguous and we can't be really certain as to their meaning, but it may not be in Harrys' best interests to even try to kill Voldemort, and the wand even, may decide that it would not be prudent! That also depends upon whether JKR allows Harry to learn the killing curse in the forthcoming books! And also whether Voldemort finds out the wording of the prophecy........

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
I am currently listening to GoF on audio CD, and got to thinking about the wand chooses the wizard thing when we have the wand weighing ceremony and we hear about Fleur's wand containing a Veela hair and that her grandmother was a Veela. This got me to thinking that perhaps Harry WILL change his wand and therefore he will be able to defeat Voldemort, and one of the important things will be the significance of the wand's core.

We are aware that wand cores come from phoenix feathers, dragon heart strings and unicorn tail hairs - how about a tail hair from a Centaur? Possibly from Firenze???