Transport/Travel in Harry Potter

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
Maybe the pensieve on the cover is a little more than a normal pensieve, and the viewer is actually taken back to the time in the memory to live it, rather than just see it?

just thinking outside this little tiny square :)

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Re: Transport in Harry Potter

Blaise said:
My fav mechanism for what we will see in Book 6 - another way of time travel :D
Yep - just had to get this in there ...
I dont think it will be a time turner - will be something a little more precise - might go some way to the steps we saw Voldemort take long ago :D
*I know I sound like a parrot!*

Though it's not been mentioned often in the books, just twice in my memory:

The first time in SS/PS when Dumbledore pulled out his watch with twelve hands and no numbers, and little planets that move around the edge.

The second time in the Department of Mysteries he pulled out his watch again when talking to Fudge. It has been suggested that Dumbledore's watch might be his own personal time-turner.

Two times we have seen this, and JKR has gone to the trouble of putting the watch on her website --- I'm thinking it might come into play in HBP.

Tonks

Unspeakable

That's a pretty interesting idea there Fort - I like it!

You're right, the watch has been brought up once too often to just be a normal watch that Dumbledore carries around. And the presence of the planets moving around the edge, well that just reminds me of Divination which is linked to prophecies.. and could also be linked to time as well..

I have a question here - but I suppose that would best be put to use in another thread - :)

Also, is it possible that the fire that is surrounding Harry and Dumbledore on yet another cover could be moving them somewhere. It seems like it is swirling around them, and I just have a feeling it may not just be something they are fighting but that is indeed transporting them to somewhere else. Maybe the looks of fear on their faces are because they do not have a clue what is happening or where they are going..

Alz

Administrator
Staff member

Fortescue said:
Though it's not been mentioned often in the books, just twice in my memory:

The first time in SS/PS when Dumbledore pulled out his watch with twelve hands and no numbers, and little planets that move around the edge.

The second time in the Department of Mysteries he pulled out his watch again when talking to Fudge. It has been suggested that Dumbledore's watch might be his own personal time-turner.

Two times we have seen this, and JKR has gone to the trouble of putting the watch on her website --- I'm thinking it might come into play in HBP.
What sticks in my mind when you posted that - 'Time and Space matter in Magic Potter ...' one Severus Snape ...
Interesting if Dumbledore is playing the time game as well - I also remember what he was like in PoA when Hermione and Harry were time turning.
OK - dont want to drift off-topic - i just find that subject matter facinating!

Vestral

A Seeker of Sorts
OK... Just a thought.

You can't apparate within Hogwarts, UNLESS...
you are a house-elf.

How can they apparate, but wizards can't ?
Is it not really apparition ?
Can they do a side-along apparition, like Dumbledore does with
Harry from Privet Drive ?

May not be important, but it has always bothered me.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
JKR did touch upon this somewhat on her site and talks about Elf's special kind of magic - I just assumed she made a mistake at some point and that was a recovery operation :p

Now the side along apparition would be a good question to ask her - if Dobby decided to help Harry out and all ... interesting thought right!

chikki

Time Turners
i just wanted to know that why is it that something always happens to the DADA teacher:confused:

Last edited:

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
chikki said:
i just wanted to know that why is it that something always happens to the DADA teacher:confused:
Hiya - your kind of 'offtopic' in this thread - but since you asked so nice I will answer you :)
In HBP - Voldemort visited Dumbledore to apply for a job - as DADA teacher.
When Dumbledore wouldnt give him the job - Dumbledore says that Voldemort cursed the position and they have never kept a DADA teacher over a year ever since that meeting. Hope that helped.

Umm - sorry, lets get back to Transport and Travel in HP :)

gumshoe

Time Turners
Oh, good, this is the right spot for Apparition, then.

I also have lots of question marks about Apparition. Big one -- why do some when they Apparate make a 'crack' sound, some 'pop,' and some Apparate soundlessly? It's fascinating to note that the twins and Mundungus are the only humans who crack -- otherwise, it's when the elves Apparate. (My husband jokingly said maybe the Hogwarts kitchen elves taught the twins before they were 17, and I think he may have actually been onto something...) Then the Ministry officials at the QWC all Apparate with 'pops,' and Dumbledore and Tonks do it soundlessly, as does the teacher. I was actually surprised that Tonks does it soundlessly.
What do you want to bet that Slughorn doesn't do it at all? Charlie failed his test, and Ron pointed out that Charlie was big (the context was they couldn't tease him about it b/c he'd pummel them, but perhaps size matters?).

What got me wondering was...you guessed it: Slughorn. I thought Dumbledore's Apparition with Harry to and from the cave seemed different than before. I've since ruled it out as being conclusive about the Slughorn/cave theory, but who knows -- maybe if I reread, I'll hit upon a phrase/word/comma that gives me the 'Aha!' I crave.

Why didn't we learn of side-along until now?

gumshoe

HeleneB

Time Turners
gumshoe said:
Oh, good, this is the right spot for Apparition, then.

I also have lots of question marks about Apparition. Big one -- why do some when they Apparate make a 'crack' sound, some 'pop,' and some Apparate soundlessly? It's fascinating to note that the twins and Mundungus are the only humans who crack -- otherwise, it's when the elves Apparate. (My husband jokingly said maybe the Hogwarts kitchen elves taught the twins before they were 17, and I think he may have actually been onto something...) Then the Ministry officials at the QWC all Apparate with 'pops,' and Dumbledore and Tonks do it soundlessly, as does the teacher. I was actually surprised that Tonks does it soundlessly.
What do you want to bet that Slughorn doesn't do it at all? Charlie failed his test, and Ron pointed out that Charlie was big (the context was they couldn't tease him about it b/c he'd pummel them, but perhaps size matters?).

What got me wondering was...you guessed it: Slughorn. I thought Dumbledore's Apparition with Harry to and from the cave seemed different than before. I've since ruled it out as being conclusive about the Slughorn/cave theory, but who knows -- maybe if I reread, I'll hit upon a phrase/word/comma that gives me the 'Aha!' I crave.

Why didn't we learn of side-along until now?

gumshoe
Hey your shoeiness, perhaps Tonks has learned to do stealth apparition. It wouldn't be very effective for an Auror not to be able to pop in on people silently. I agree about the side-along too. Interesting that the very mention of it didn't occur until HBP.

gumshoe

Time Turners
Glad to see you here, Helene!
Yeah, my husband said something similar about Tonks' ability to Apparate silently -- wouldn't do to be an Auror who was popping and cracking all over the place, now would it.
Do you think the reason JK doesn't introduce side-along until HBP is simply due to oversight, or something more sinister? :D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think that might be a small oversight really ...
There must have been a few occasions over the books where side along apparition could have been employed but wasn't.
I think JKR needed to work out how she could get Harry and Dumbledore to travel together and broom would have taken too long, portkey might not have fitted etc.

Agreed with the noise thing - good point - if you are in a role where being stealth is kinda fundemental then the art of suprise could be blown if you make a loud sound :p

HeleneB

Time Turners
gumshoe said:
Glad to see you here, Helene!
Yeah, my husband said something similar about Tonks' ability to Apparate silently -- wouldn't do to be an Auror who was popping and cracking all over the place, now would it.
Do you think the reason JK doesn't introduce side-along until HBP is simply due to oversight, or something more sinister? :D
Knowing JK as we do now, I wouldn't put it past her to have something more sinister in mind.:p But there're a number of items that are not mentioned until they come up. I'm thinking of Butterbeer - no mention in SS or CoS, but then in PoA and then we see it at parties in the common room and even at one of the meals, I think. So it could also be that while JK knows the general plotline, the actual stories are still evolving and growing.

Lovegood54

Luna's Biggest Fan!
ok first: side-along DOES actually come up before HBP, its just not said specifically. go back to when Mr. Weasley is bringing harry to his trial. it goes down like this: "'You don't normally walk to work, do you?' Harry asked him, as they set off briskly around the square. 'No, I usually Apparate,' said Mr. Weasley, 'but obiously you can't, and i think it's we arrive in a thoroughly non-magical fashion....'" note how he says harry can't apparate but never says that it isnt an option! he just says that harry doesnt know how, and that he thinks its best to show up in a thoroughly muggle way. also, if you think about about how many kids were going to the Quidditch World Cup in GoF, there were too many people to do proper side along apparition (those who went and couldnt apparate: Harry, Hermione, Fred, George, Ginny, Ron, Charlie and Bill (not sure if they can apparate or not) Percy would not have the experience to bring anyone with him and he went alone. just too many people and we dont know how much a strain it has on the wizard doing it.)

ok, as far as the cracks pops and silence when apparating. i have given this much thought, and i think it comes down to 2 thiings: Personality or Experience.

Personality Theory: whether the wizard cracks, pops or apparates silently depends on what their personality is like (like the animagus form) if u demand the center stage (like Fred and George) you would make a cracking noise. if you are very secretive or shy you will apparate silently (like Voldemort, he's very secretive and uses apparating offensively and thus wouldnt want to be heard) and if you are just a regular joe who doesnt care, you will make a popping noise.

Experience Theory: The amount of noise you make when apparating depends on your experience. Thus noobs would make a cracking noise (much like Fred and George who had just learned how to apparate). those who have a decent amount of experience at apparating and/or have been doing it for a long time will most likely have a popping noise. those who are highly advanced at apparating, and have done it alot and for many years will most likely apparate silently (like voldemort, who probably apparates whenever he has to go anywhere)

well, those are my 2 theories on apparating noises, tear them apart or ask me questions if you dont understand.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Thanks for digging this up! I agree with the personality aspect of the sounds. I thought of that myself after reading the last few threads here. I also thought of the experience part, either seems to fit quite well, as for expanding more on the idea though I think "politeness" may come in to play as well. As DD told Harry in HBP, you don't just aparate into someone's home, you must give them the chance to admit or turn you away. perhaps the "pop" is the inended "polite" way to aparate, sort of a "knock" if you will . . . then of course you could purposefully aparate silently if stealth were needed or if you simply were going to arrive in an unoccupied area, no "knock" being then needed, or . . . as stated before, if you were so inclined as to arrive with "style" and sought to bring deffinate attention to yourself . . . no need to be "fashioably late" just CRACK!:D

Lovegood54

Luna's Biggest Fan!
ok, you bring up a good point there Sirius Potter Fan. it could also come down to the politeness of the apparition. afterall, when fred george were apparating into harry and ron's room in Grimmauld Place, they were being kind of rude and didnt care much about being polite. good point!:D