Trevor

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
Does anyone think its wierd that Neville is the only one with a toad? I have been thinking this for a long time...Trevor always gets away(and I dont think its entirely Neville that is the problem lol). No I'm not going on my animagus streams again tehe. I just wanted to know if anyone else thinks he's wierd. This is my one completely useless thread-just to see what people say about it. So take it wherever you want to! (I'm off to bed I'm getting strange.)

Boing

Pops in randomly
Yes, it does seem weird. In the beginning we find out that toads are very out of style, so at first glance, you could attribute it to the fact that no one wants to be seen with a toad so no one else has one - it's a social kiss of death.

However, that doesn't explain why he keeps escaping - I can't see JKR doing the same thing with Trevor that she did with Scabbers, though. Doesn't that seem a bit much to everyone? I think I'd be disappointed. I can't give any other clues as to why he does this, though.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Is it that wierd?
I mean - mainstream pets seem to be owls and maybe cats - but rats etc - I think a toad would be just as unique but doesnt stand out for me ...
I know Tinky posted a great thread about Trevor and events in CoS ...

Neville seems to go for strange things - look no futher than the stinksap in OoTP - he seems destine to be a social outcast - or some might say trend setter!
Question I would ask - where is Trevor now?

Boing

Pops in randomly
LOL! You know, I hadn't even noticed that Trevor had disappeared from the storyline, but as I posted in the article about the chapter when all the kids first go to school in PS/SS, Neville is mentioned several times, most of which make a reference to his missing toad - sometimes he is only referred to as "the toadless boy."

This seems to indicate that JKR really wanted us to notice this "toadless boy" and the fact that he had a toad, and it kept running away. I can't think of why now, but I think Blaise might be on to something if Trevor has indeed disappeared from the storyline . . . good catch!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think there is any link between him going and Neville's memory getting better?
I know it seems wild yet again - but you know the secretions of many toads and frog can be used for poisons and potions etc ... just a thought :D

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
Blaise said:
Do you think there is any link between him going and Neville's memory getting better?
I know it seems wild yet again - but you know the secretions of many toads and frog can be used for poisons and potions etc ... just a thought :D

I wonder whether this is why Snape has previously tried to poison Trevor by using Neville's potions on him?!

The other points to note is that, depending on the species, toads can live between 2 to 40 years! The average age for a frog or toad is about 4 to 15 years. So, has Trevor been around Hogwarts before? Was he a pet for Neville's mum or dad?

Also, frogs and toads have many predators including, fish, snakes and birds. Thinking about the fact that Hogwarts could possibly be a very dangerous place for Trevor - what with the Slytherins, a basilisk, the merpeole and possibly an evil Fawkes!!

Boing

Pops in randomly
Blaise said:

And a good thought at that!! :)

But it is a true observation - as soon as Trevor went missing for good, Neville started gaining friends, confidence, etc. Perhaps it is something as simple as Trevor dying over the summer or Neville simply not wanting to bring him back.
But that's boring, right?! :D

If Trevor had been a pet of his parents, though, I would think he would hold onto him for dear life as it would be a daily reminder of his parents.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Yah but also - doesnt it seems strange that he just went - Neville started to improve?
Do you think it is likely we will see him again or has the moment passed?
It seems like a loose end - and well as much as he wasnt a major player in the series - he was present and most people remember him!
Hey perhaps someone turned him into the stink sap - or indeed someone needed to try and get him dosed up on the special 'ingredient' that Trevor was packing ....

Boing

Pops in randomly
Does anyone else think it's odd that Neville's toad's name was Trevor? I was just thinking about this (and it could be that it's very late at night!), but most of the other kids have named their pets something a bit more different, like Crookshanks, Scabbers, Hedwig, Buckbeak, etc. But Trevor is such a common name that it makes me think that perhaps Trevor was more than a toad . . .

I wouldn't like to see JKR do that with two pets and have them both be animagi, though. And I guess Hagrid did name his dragon Norbert . . . but that's the only other name that seems similar to a human's name . . .

I took it to mean that Trevor was a really uncool name for an uncool pet, as opposed to all the fashionable pets with interesting names. Just another fact to reinforce Neville's dorky character. (With apologies to anyone actually named Trevor!)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - dorky!

Yah it is a little strange that his name is almost human in context to the other names of pets ... but pulling a second stealth animagus doesnt seem plausible .. If the person was revealed just after Trevor 'did one' - then cool - but he just vanished and once again a hole in the storyline appears!
That has to be a JKR question she would answer - where is Trevor now? :D

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
Boing said:
And a good thought at that!! :)

But it is a true observation - as soon as Trevor went missing for good, Neville started gaining friends, confidence, etc. Perhaps it is something as simple as Trevor dying over the summer or Neville simply not wanting to bring him back.
But that's boring, right?! :D

If Trevor had been a pet of his parents, though, I would think he would hold onto him for dear life as it would be a daily reminder of his parents.

That makes me think about the wrappers that Nevilles mom keeps giving him-if Trevor was his parents before he was Nevilles then I would also come to the conclusion of the memory altering toad...think about other things that have been of importance in the books-most of them have been past down from generation to generation..trevor, the cloak, rons wand, scabbers, the tappestry of the blacks...

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
Blaise said:
Yah it is a little strange that his name is almost human in context to the other names of pets ... but pulling a second stealth animagus doesnt seem plausible .. If the person was revealed just after Trevor 'did one' - then cool - but he just vanished and once again a hole in the storyline appears!
That has to be a JKR question she would answer - where is Trevor now? :D

Actually, Trevor was in OotP. He was only seen on the train though, so I am assuming this was to take some of the specualtion away from him and move it on to Neville's new "toy", The Mimbulus Mimbletonia.

OotP said:
In the very last carriage they met Neville Longbottom, Harry's fellow fifth-year Gryffindor, his round face shining with the effort of pulling his trunk along and maintaining a one handed grip on his struggling toad, Trevor.

OotP said:
He dug the hand that was not keeping a firm grip on Trevor into his schoolbag and after a little bit of rummaging pulled out what appeared to be a small grey cactus in a pot, except that it was covered with what looked like boils rather than spines.
'Mimbulus mimbletonia,' he said proudly.

OotP said:
'Loads of stuff!' said Neville proudly. 'It's got an amazing defensive mechanism. Here, hold Trevor for me…'
He dumped the toad into Harry's lap and took a quill from his schoolbag. Luna Lovegood's popping eyes appeared over the top of her upside-down magazine again, to watch what Neville was doing. Neville held the Mimbulus mimbletonia up to his eyes, his tongue between his teeth, chose his spot, and gave the plant a sharp prod with the tip of his quill.

OotP said:
Til carry that owl, if you like,' said Luna to Harry, reaching out for Pigwidgeon as Neville stowed Trevor carefully in an inside pocket.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
OK - I will shut up then :eek:
Nice one Wheezy - guess I should have paid more attention :p

Boing

Pops in randomly
I was reading through OotP again for some information on Unspeakables and had a brainstorm . . .

When Mr. Weasley tells Harry about the Unspeakables, he calls them Bode and Croaker and says no one knows what they do.

As I mentioned in a post above, I thought it was interesting that Neville's toad's name was so mainstream for a person and suggested that he could be an animagus. What if "Croaker" is his nickname because his animagus is a toad?

What if Croaker has been assigned to keep Neville company for some reason? Perhaps there's another prophecy that we don't know about, but they do and they are keeping an eye on him? Or he could be assigned to Neville for another reason, but I just found it to be an interesting name. Especially given that we find out that the Marauders called themselves by nicknames based upon their animagi . . .

Thoughts? :D

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - you know what that is pretty fanastic if that was the case :D :D :D
You know thou - as much as I really like that idea - I think that JKR would have used it more to make the link - but as I said I really like it!

Athena

Time Turners
Boing said:
What if Croaker has been assigned to keep Neville company for some reason? Perhaps there's another prophecy that we don't know about, but they do and they are keeping an eye on him? Or he could be assigned to Neville for another reason, but I just found it to be an interesting name. Especially given that we find out that the Marauders called themselves by nicknames based upon their animagi . . .

Thoughts? :D

That's a great thought, but the problem is that Trevor keeps running (or Hopping) away from Neville :(

From the moment we meet Neville, he is forever "losing" Trevor. Or like I said.... Trevor is trying to get away from him. I wonder if that is actually what is happening.... Trevor trying to escape the clutches of Neville??

Boing

Pops in randomly
Well, perhaps then Trevor/Croaker is investigating other things at Hogwarts - other students. Perhaps he is keeping an eye on Harry as well . . . it's possible. As I said, he might not be keeping an eye on Neville, but was perhaps placed with someone they thought as innocuous as possible. Someone who also wouldn't raise suspicion . . .

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
So, does anybody think it is odd that Trevor is the only pet that attends classes with his owner?