U.S. Book 7 Dustcover unveiled!!!!

happy_hannah

Time Turners
"QUOTE=Glumbumble;31533]If that is so how did the locket find its way to Grim Old Place and how did the replacement locket get to the cave with the note?"

An even better question is, why is harry wearing the locket on the u.s cover?, obviously it is of importance to him, and my theory is that it is the object voldemort made into a horcrux when he came for harry, it would also be significant because it was merope's and voldemort killed harry's mother to get to him. Now as for how it came to be at grim Grim Old place, obviously regulus (if he is R.A.B) took it from the cave with the intention of destroying it and put a fake in the basin.

Glumbumble

Time Turners
But Voldemort could carry nothing after his encounter with Harry.

Voldemort. GoF said:
I miscalculated, my friends, I admit it. My curse was deflected by the woman's foolish sacrifice, and it rebounded upon myself. Aaah . . . pain beyond pain, my friends; nothing could have prepared me for it. I was ripped from my body, I was less than spirit, less than the meanest ghost. . . but still, I was alive. What I was, even I do not know... I, who have gone further than anybody along the path that leads to immortality. You know my goal - to conquer death. And now, I was tested, and it appeared that one or more of my experiments had worked ... for I had not been killed, though the curse should have done it. Nevertheless, I was as powerless as the weakest creature alive, and without the means to help myself... for I had no body, and every spell that might have helped me required the use of a wand. . . .

So if he could not use a wand how could he carry the locket.

Also Regulus was killed in 1979 before Harry's birth. If Regulus is RAB then he must have taken the locket before Harry was born let alone before he was attacked.

As for the reason for Harry wearing the locket on the cover of the US edition I guess it was for two reasons. Firstly to show Voldemort that he knew about the Horcruxes and had destroyed at least some of them. Voldemort already knew that the diary had been destroyed. Secondly it was the Horcrux that signified that Voldemort was heir of Slytherin and not that heirloom was in Harry's possession.

Glumbumble

Time Turners
What is the significance of the orange sky? The orange sky appears both on the US edition and the UK children's edition so there must be something that ties in with the story. Is it a sunset or a new dawn?

Also in the crystal ball that contains the snake on the UK children's edition has a reflection of a window in it. Windows don't feature much in the series but we know that there is one in Trelawney's classroom because Rita listened on the ledge. perhaps we will find that Trelawney was not so much of an old fraud.

gbogbo

Time Turners
Also in the crystal ball that contains the snake on the UK children's edition has a reflection of a window in it. Windows don't feature much in the series but we know that there is one in Trelawney's classroom because Rita listened on the ledge. perhaps we will find that Trelawney was not so much of an old fraud.

To me, the snake looks to be turning to stone as it watches in horror at the window, or perhaps at the full moon through the window.

horcruxfinder

Time Turners
As I went to sleep last night after rereading Ootp, I was thinking to find out what others thought of the idea that Regulus had to place the horcrux for LV in the basin and instead put a fake in instead. He wanted out of the DE world knowing about horcruxes and about the prophecy and was killed for this. I think he knew about the prophecy as well as the horcruxes because he says "you meet your match," perhaps knowing that there will be a "match" out there who will do LV in. The real locket, he brings home and Kreacher becomes the keeper of it as the Order are cleaning and Kreacher pinches the locket and keeps it in his lair. Thus, we see Kreacher on Harry's back on the UK cover with a sword trying to prevent Harry from making progress in his quest.

yes, I am thinking these thoughts as I fall asleep. I wake to post and find that others are thinking about Regulus as well. I had originally thought that he died after harry was born and after the AK rebounded on LV. Thus, he was serving as LV's legs and arms as he took the locket to the cave. But, 1979 just won't do with this theory.

Mr_Bandman

Time Turners
horcruxfinder....I like it! A good bit of thinking as you cross to & fro the worlds of reality and dream. I think you are correct in thinking that RAB is Regulus Black and that he took the locket to #12 Grimmauld Place before Harry was born. He may well have been killed for that very act---I can't remember if a specific cause of death is given for Regulus. (This is where Glumbumble can help----he always knows exactly where these things are in the books and seems to have them at easy disposal----G---can you illuminate?) The locket obviously plays a major part in the final installment, and as Kreacher, I believe, currently has the locket in his cache, he will undoubtedly be a central character. The house elf is an interesting "creature"---sorry---no better word. We know (from Dobby's first appearance) that it is possible for house elves to find loopholes in their masters' orders and that they can exercise free will in disobeying, though they can be compelled to punish themselves rather severely for doing so. This could prove a very frustrating barrier for Harry, and I think the picture on the US Children's cover depicts Kreacher hanging onto Harry's back (probably ordered to do so) but kicking and screaming (and slashing with a sword) all the way---of this we can be certain----Kreacher will not go quietly!

Last edited:

Glumbumble

Time Turners
Mr.Bandman,

There are only two references to Regulus' death and I don't think that they will help you much.

OotP said:
'Was he killed by an Auror?' Harry asked tentatively.
'Oh, no,' said Sirius. 'No, he was murdered by Voldemort. Or on Voldemort's orders, more likely; I doubt Regulus was ever important enough to be killed by Voldemort in person. From what I found out after he died, he got in so far, then panicked about what he was being asked to do and tried to back out. Well, you don't just hand in your resignation to Voldemort. It's a lifetime of service or death.'

Lupin. HBP said:
"And they've found Igor Karkaroff's body in a shack up north. The Dark Mark had been set over it... well, frankly, I'm surprised he stayed alive for even a year after deserting the Death Eaters; Sirius's brother, Regulus, only managed a few days as far as I can remember."

Last edited:

Glumbumble

Time Turners
Does anyone think that the clouds, near the Hogwarts tower on the back cover of the UK children's edition, look like the Starship Enterprise. Could this be a reference to time travel?

Mr_Bandman

Time Turners
Actually, G, that tells me exactly what I wanted to know----Regulus was killed because he was trying to get out of what Voldemort wanted him to do----I think it is looking more and more like that had something to do with the locket &/or horcruxes in general----perhaps in connection with other DE related atrocities.

Glumbumble

Time Turners
Mr. Bandman,

I am glad it was helpful.

I think that I misunderstood your question. I thought that you wanted to know how he died not why. I was thinking of "cause of death" as being something like suffocation or stabbing or avada kedavra or something like that.

Mr_Bandman

Time Turners
sorry for the misunderstanding-----just wanted to see how it was worded----I was at work all day and didn't have access to the books.....

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
Thinking about the full moon from the cover, and Easter. The date for Easter is set by 'The first Sunday after the first full moon after the spring equinox'. That is, the weekend of the first full moon in spring.

If you look at old painting of the crucifixion - eg, Durer's - there is often the sun on one side of the sky, and the full moon on the other, symbolising both His Godhood - the sun - and His temporality in the material, temporal realm - the moon. The spring full moon - the moon back to full life, as the world comes to life after Winter - is thus deeply symbolically relevant.

I think Harry is a Christ-like, messianic figure. He defeated the Dark Lord, in fullfillment of the prophets. And after the age of fear and darkness, the Winter of the Wizards' discontent, he'll bring a new age.

And I think that's what the full moon means. It's like a symbolic rendition of this new era, a metaphorical Spring. And it is a strong omen of victory for Harry. But a victory after a death - for like the moon, the redeeming hero must die, and be reborn.

We should also get some cool werewolf battles.

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
i don't have time to read all the replies at the moment, but i do want to get some thoughts down...

if the 'thing' on Harry's back is Kreacher, then it would make sense that they are falling in to the chamber - kreacher could have hidden his collection there, once employed at Hogwarts. or it could be Dobby, as i doubt Harry would trust Kreacher with the sword - any sword, at that!

my first thoughts, however, were that Harry, Ron and Hermione are being sucked through the veil. Harry is the only one who appears to be falling forward, whereas the other two look as though they are being pulled backward. However, Harry could be going feet first. The other two also appear as though they are reaching, but Harry doesn't. Hermione isn't as hurt as Harry, but she does have marks on her arms...

however, the position of some of the gold coins disturbs me. they do look as thought they have been flung forward, as if something has crashed in to them, and sent them flying. but it goes against Ron's position. he looks as though he is being pulled roughly backwards, or has flung himself backwards.

if it is Gringotts, the rumours of a dragon may have some substance.

the back cover suggests demetors to me. the 'smoke' could be mist, relating to dementors and breeding. the full moon - werewolves definitely play a part in this book. all the lights in the castle are on...yet it is night...so has something happened within the castle, or in the grounds, that has the students awake? oh yeah - it also means that Hogwarts hasn't closed!

in the crystal ball with the snake...there is a reflection of a window, or the window is in the vision.

the other cover - the arena is much like the arch way that the trio are coming/going through.

perhaps it is the veil, and Voldemort knows more about it and has pulled Harry through. although harry is not wearing the cloak as he goes through the archway, but he is wearing it alongside Voldemort. Those figures in the background are creepy, i don't want to speculate on them!

that's all i have for now...

Glumbumble

Time Turners
Because most of the artefacts contain Rubies my guess is that they have uncovered the ancestral home of Godric Gryffindor which is most likely located at Godric's Hollow. The only artefact that does not have a Ruby is the breastplate with the snake! Could Gryffindor have taken that from Slytherin before?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Glumbumble said:
Does anyone think that the clouds, near the Hogwarts tower on the back cover of the UK children's edition, look like the Starship Enterprise. Could this be a reference to time travel?
Beam me up Harry!:p I do see the clouds you are talking about, but I think it looks more like Voyager than Enterprise . . . Although I do believe ther will be time travel involved, I doubt that they will slingshot around the sun to do it.;)

happy_hannah

Time Turners
i just realised, the hole/arch/whatever in which harry , hermione and ron are falling/being sucked into/out of on the childrens u.k cover has sky behind it, the same sky as the u.s cover. so wherever they are has to be coming from outside.

Last edited:

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Good one Hoggy! I noticed that too, but since we have brought Startrek into this too, why not Stargate! I wonder if we will find out that the other side has some ancient runes that Hermionie has to figure out for them to open it? (I mean, there really has to be some reason JKR made her take all those classes!)

Now . . . this orange sky thing has me wondering . . . with it being on both the US and the UK children's covers, it must be significant to the story, especialy as the two covers are depicting two different events in the story, yet both have the same orange sky. Going back to my supposition that the hooded figures on the US cover are Dementors, add that with us learning at the begining of HBP of the "mist" caused by their "reproduction", I think that the orange sky must be caused by the dementors. What if the Dementors not only turn on the ministry, but on Voldemort as well?

Glumbumble

Time Turners
i just realised, the hole in which harry , hermione and ron are falling/being sucked into/out of on the childrens u.k cover has sky behind it, the same sky as the u.s cover. so wherever they are has to be coming from outside.

If we assume that the "Hole" in the wall is not a hole but an arch it could well be the view from inside one of the arches that we see in the US edition. Because the image is taken from inside the orange sky is seen behind.

I have looked through the books and there are two references to orange lighting. One refers to orange street lighting and the other to the effect of Hagrid's house being on fire in HBP.

If this is anything to go on it would seen that there is destruction and fire at wherever the place is. Also on the US cover Harry seems scratch, tear and damage free. On the UK cover he and Hermione have burns on their arms. It is possible that the scene in the US cover precedes the scene on the UK cover. That the US cover is either before or during a fight and the UK cover after.