U.S. Book 7 Dustcover unveiled!!!!

horcruxfinder

Time Turners
I also thought it was an arch and thus would be part of the arena we see in the US edition. If this is true then what is a cache of treasure doing in the arena? A horcrux behind the veil??? No. I think this must be just a figurative lumping of some of the important points in the book ie the archway and the possible Gryffindor treasure and horcruxes as well as the wedding (as H and R are in dress robes.) I did think that perhaps the first horcrux will be destroyed at the wedding in the form of the Tiara. As for the US edition, if it is the arch with the veil does anyone else see it as LV is sort of falling backwards through it. If we are on the unknown side of it - those figures could be the others who have fallen through it. If we are on the known side of it, and LV is falling through to the unknown side then the figures could be DEs or dementors.

Orange sky...yes, it seems something is on fire - is that the Ministry (if it is the archway and veil) or Hogwarts (if it is the chamber of secrets ie a pipe).

Glumbumble

Time Turners
Alfonso Cuaron: Interview with David Heyman said:
We needed a place where the kids could see the execution of Buckbeak, and we thought about having a graveyard. And we consulted Jo about it and she said "No, the graveyard is not there," and I said "Why?" And then she gave me the whole explanation of why the graveyard cannot be there, because it's in a different place of the castle. Because it's going to play...and she knows her thing, she knows exactly what's going to happen later.
Now we know that there is a graveyard at Hogwarts and that it is significant to the storyline. DH is the last opportunity for it to be used. But who would be buried in the Hogwarts graveyard?
We know that no Headmasters or Headmistrisses have been buried there.

HBP said:
"Well. . ." said Professor McGonagall, losing a little of her briskness as her voice shook. "I - I know that it was Dumbledore's wish to be laid to rest here, at Hogwarts -"
"Then that's what'll happen, isn't it?" said Harry fiercely.
"If the Ministry thinks it appropriate," said Professor McGonagall. "No other headmaster or headmistress has ever been -"
"No other headmaster or headmistress ever gave more to this school," growled Hagrid.

Maybe most of the Heads retired and died elsewhere.

So could it be the founders? Perhaps Professor Binns is buried there? Maybe Headless Nick and the other Ghosts including the Bloody Baron!

The Image on the US edition could be the graveyard. The "figures" around the edge could be grave stones and the trio could have stumbled into Gryffindor's tomb.

Piper

Time Turners
I think it's definately a doorway in the UK Scene, if you look under Hermonie's arm, it seems to go down too straight to be some kind of circle. It looks like a golden brick lined door actually. Whatever has happened, they have definately hit a treasure trove.

The US one, with the tattered, worn curtains, and the partially burned wood all around makes me think of the ruins of the house in Godric's Hollow.

It seems like Harry is trying to catch something round, and that he's going to get it, but all I can think of again and again is Neville's rememball.

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
Some of the remarks about the full moon and werewolves makes me wonder. If the final confrontation is indeed during a full moon, and Lupin is there with Harry, what might happen. We saw in PoA that when Lupin is a werewolf, he has no control over what he does and will attack anyone. What might happen if he does?

We also saw that Bill was attacked in HBP and Lupin was unsure of how that might affect him. Bill is a member of the Order, and I'm sure they will be a big part of the last book, all of them wanting to come together to help Harry now that Dumbledore is gone. It will be interesting to see how that all unfolds. But I think the full moon is a hint about Lupin. If Voldemort has his hoard of creatures there, it could get ugly.

Glumbumble

Time Turners
There is another reference to full moon that could come into play;

OotP said:
Grawp knelt between two trees he had not yet uprooted. They looked up into his startlingly huge face that resembled a grey full moon swimming in the gloom of the clearing.

There would have been little point in Grawp being in the story if he did not have a role to play!

Last edited:

Mr_Bandman

Time Turners
Grawp gets to rip off Bellatrix's head......I will be sorely disappointed if her demise is any less painful....

Last edited:

halliemei

Time Turners
First, thanks Rory for the amazing and satisfyingly large picture. Second, I see what you mean about the beak but it sure does look like a snake on the breast plate. Definitely a griffon on the helmet, though.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Yes, I agree as well, the chest plate has a snake, and the helm has a griffin. But the green and purple vials at the bottom . . . more memories to explore?

There are two more pieces of armor though that are partialy obscured . . . perhaps, one piece from each house? could this go with my theory of unity as well?

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
The 'snake' on the breastplate certainly does seem to have a beak in the enlarged version. Perhaps it is a swan-like bird, a pheonix, perhaps?

The robes Ron and Hermione are wearing appear to be dress-robes. Perhaps they find this trove after the wedding. Maybe it as after or before their graduation ceremony. Are there any other formal events hanging in the air?

I presume the wedding will be in the early pre-Hogwarts chapters, and that this scene is some sort of climax. I wonder if the trove is under the ruined house in Godric's Hollow? Harry's parents were obviously quite rich. Ah, but they seem to keep their teasure at Gringotts - but maybe that's just their gold.

From the covers, we have a few clues. I would presume a fight with Voldemort will be towards the end, so that frees up this scene for earlier in the book.

Urr; I just want to read it.

Last edited:

Mr_Bandman

Time Turners
SPF----I'm glad you caught the vials---I wonder if there is significance in that they match exactly the colors of the robes Ron & Hermione are wearing?

Dr. W.---I'm wondering if the robes R & H have on indicate their selection as Head Boy/Girl? But, then, what would be the significance of the matching vials?

Also, I have a feeling this is a mistake made by the artist who may have seen the movies & not read the books----notice that Harry's scar on the UK kid's cover is off-center, as it is in the movies. In the books the scar is dead-center on his forehead.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
well, you are right, the scar is definately off center, but perhaps not as far off as in the movies. Also, in the UK children's cover, Harry looks almost exactly like Radcliffe's portrayal, so I agree that the artist is perhaps a movie fan, but . . . they must at least read the books enough to understand the story line, because Jo doesn't tell them what to draw. Just perhaps the artist isn't as dedicated as we are!

Rory

Time Turners
The robes Ron and Hermione are wearing appear to be dress-robes. Perhaps they find this trove after the wedding. Maybe it as after or before their graduation ceremony. Are their any other formal events hanging in the air/quote]

At the end of HBP they are still wearing their dress robes. They are on the way back to the castle from DD's funeral. There was a statement that everyone wore their dress robes to the funeral.

Did the basilisk have a beak? Could it be a basilisk on the front of the armor? Did the basilisk in CoS belong to Salazar S? Or was it SS? Did SS make Horcruxes? As he became less human could be have become a basilisk? Is that what LV is turning into? Or just a really big snake? Did Fawkes bring Harry Godric G's sword because Fawkes IS GG? Or maybe he belonged to GG. Are Fawkes and Doby waiting for Harry when they get back to the castle after DD's funeral to lead the 3 (trinity?) to GG's "Chamber of Secrets?"

How's that for a little wild speculation?;)

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Well as far as speculation Rory, that sounds as good as anything. At this point we are all guessing. There does indeed have to be some reason that JKR left the trio at the school, my only question with that is that Harry doens't have his robes on . . . but maybe he didn't? need to check that out. But if so, that would mean that DH is going to start with a BANG! It's definately going to be a busy book. It's fun to guess at the covers, but from past experience, we are seldom right LOL! Can't wait till she releases a few chapter titles for us to guess wrong on too!:p

horcruxfinder

Time Turners
Why would a griffin appear on a piece of armor of GG when the Lion is the symbol of the house of gryffindor? I do agree about the unity thing and thought that love will be the magic that brings the unity about. These are the things that will defeat the enemy. But what about this armor? This must be the armor mentioned in the interview with Hepzibah - goblin made - so is it really GG's or what given that we see both a snake and possibly a griffin on it?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
US one looks like an amphitheater with Voldemort and Harry - reminds of me the difference between walking with head held high and being dragged in ...
Also looks like people in the crowd and both Harry and Voldemort looking at something else ...?
Wanted to point out here the multiple references to snakes and maybe ouroboros will become a big feature in the 7th book ... ahh I can taste it, me being right!

Tonks

Unspeakable
Alz? Right? Ha. Good one. … not like i can talk.. :D

I must say I do think the UK children's cover seems to be the most detailed / reveal the most about the book.. there's just a lot more TO it than the adult one [obviously] or even the US one..

Hermione’s arms definitely seem to be as torn up as Harry’s robes are.. I’m kind of interested in why Harry and Hermione both seem to be diving through the doorway thing [blown off their feet?], but Ron appears to be falling back in terror.. maybe he’s just falling back through the doorway though. I’m very interested in the absence of wand and presence of that sword instead.. and I’m glad that they’re all there so we know they will certainly be [fighting?] together at some point!

It’s interesting that Harry appears to be wearing brown instead of his usual black in the US version.. clearly not Hogwarts black, although there are obvious reasons for that one.. that open-air stadium thing really captures my attention too, as does the apparent “audience” in between the arches..

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
My take on the trio's positioning is that they have all slidden down some pipes into the chamber. (as said before if Slytherin could have one . . . why not Gryffindor?) Ron slid feet first, and Harry and Hermionie got turned head first. ONly . . . it doesn't really look like a pipe does it? it looks like the same orangeish sky on the US cover . . . perhaps upon opening the door they were just "sucked" in, and their positions changed as the fell.

happy_hannah

Time Turners
"Rowling has stated that the final volume relates very closely to the previous book in the series, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, "almost as though they are two halves of the same novel"
i just got that from wikipedia, got me thinking. If they are 'two halves of the same book' than i can very much see the seventh book starting off where the sixth one finished. that could very much explain the dress robes, though it would be bad for harry as he thought he had 'one last day of peace' with hermione and ron

happy_hannah

Time Turners
i was just looking at the uk childrens cover again, and particularly the symbol on the spine, there is the whole triangle, the whole circle, two halves of the triangle and two halves of the circle, that makes 6 parts, like 6 parts of voldemorts soul perhaps? (discluding the part in him of course)