Very, very old wizard...?

Tinkerbell

Time Turners
In Chapter 5, Diagon Alley, in PS/SS, during Harry's first visit to the wizarding shopping mall, when he visits Ollvanders , we are told that they have been Wand makers since 382 BC.

No other shop in Diagon Alley denotes how long they have been trading – is there any significance in this, or is it simply a clever way of JKR illustrating how long magic has been in existence? It is interesting that no other shops are described by when they were established.

Boing

Pops in randomly
Hmmm, so perhaps she is either trying to show us when a significant part of magical history came into place - perhaps the first time wands were used by most wizards to perform magic?

I never thought that maybe Ollivander himself was that old, but rather that the store had been passed down through generations of Ollivanders to this guy.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Yah actually - i wonder if he has been the sole proprieter all this time?
I agree with the point I think it was marked to show how important the wand was - and that it's invention and use was attributed back to the Ollivanders?
Also - is Ollivanders the only wand shop - in England or the world?
It is said the wand chooses the wizard - so what if there are more than one shop - and the wand for the wizard isnt in that shop?
Would a student have to shop around the globe - is there an internet shop where you can test OL to see who has your right wand and they mail order it to you :p

All the same - how many wand shops are there - and if you place a witch of wizard in another shop would they get the same wand?

Tonks

Unspeakable
Ok, I do think that this was just a nice way to show us that magic has been along a really long time, and a wand is very important.
Blaise said:
Yah actually - i wonder if he has been the sole proprieter all this time?
I don't think so. We know that there are other wand makes, such as the Gregorians or some similar weird G name along those lines, and they all like to use different materials to put in the wands core.
Blaise said:
Also - is Ollivanders the only wand shop - in England or the world?
I highly doubt it is the only wand shop in the world, but in London, most definitely. In England, possibly. I don't remember hearing about one in Hogsmeade, and I think those two places are really the only two sole-wizarding establishments/shopping places in England, so unless there is one that just sort of stands on its own, then no I don't think so.
Blaise said:
It is said the wand chooses the wizard - so what if there are more than one shop - and the wand for the wizard isnt in that shop?
I think that while the wand chooses the wizard, they aren't exactly the most pickiest things in the world. ;) I bet that there is more than one right wand for everyone (what happens if yours is broken or destroyed in some way?)
Blaise said:
All the same - how many wand shops are there - and if you place a witch of wizard in another shop would they get the same wand?
No idea how many wand shops there are, but I think that if you placed a witch or wizard in another shop, they would probably get a somewhat similar wizard, although not an exactly identical one. I have a feeling that all wands are different in some way, especially because there are so many various types of woods and cores that can be used, not to mention the possible lengths and thicknesses, etc.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
See - I saw it differently ...
In order for a Wizard or Witch to be the best they needed the 'right' wand ...
Well - I think that is personal and I think IMHO that if there are more than one shop - then a person would have to 'shop around' to find the right wand ...

I dont doubt that people can do magic with other wands - but I think in order to be great they need the right wand ... and the wand chooses the wizard ;)

Weasleyfanforever

Time Turners
Actually, Tonks is right. There are other shops, or at least other wand makers:

Gof said:
“Yes,” said Mr. Ollivander, “yes, I’ve never used veela hair myself, of course. I find it makes for rather temperamental wands…however, to each his own, and if this suits you..”
Mr. Ollivander ran his fingers along the wand, apparently checking for scratches or bumps; then he muttered, “Orchideous!” and a bunch of flowers burst from the wand tip.
“Very well, very well, it’s in fine working order,” said Mr. Ollivander, scooping up the flowers and handing them to Fleur with her wand. “Mr. Diggory, you next.”
Fleur glided back to her seat, smiling at Cedric as he passed her.
“Ah, now, this is one of mine, isn’t it?” said Mr. Ollivander, with much more enthusiasm, as Cedric handed over his wand. “Yes, I remember it well. Containing a single hair from the tail of a particularly fine male unicorn. . . must have been seventeen hands; nearly gored me with his horn after I plucked his tail. Twelve and a quarter inches. . . ash. . . pleasantly springy. It’s in fine condition…You treat it regularly?”
“Polished it last night,” said Cedric, grinning.
Harry hooked down at his own wand. He could see finger marks all over it. He gathered a fistful of robe from his knee and tried to rub it clean surreptitiously. Several gold sparks shot out of the end of it. Fleur Delacour gave him a very patronizing look, and he desisted.
Mr. Ollivander sent a stream of silver smoke rings across the room from the tip of Cedric’s wand, pronounced himself satisfied, and then said, “Mr. Krum, if you please.”
Viktor Krum got up and slouched, round-shouldered and duck-footed, toward Mr.
Ollivander. He thrust out his wand and stood scowling, with his hands in the pockets of his robes.
“Hmm,” said Mr. Ollivander, “this is a Gregorovitch creation, unless I’m much mistaken? A fine wand-maker, though the styling is never quite what I. . . however. .”

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Well - I think I was more going for was there other wand shops!
OK, I quit ....
I just thought that there could be many wizards and witches out there that arent great - good but not great because they never found the one true and right wand .... because it was in another shop/location :rolleyes:

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
I was wondering if all of this had anything to do with the DE taking Ollivander? Didnt they say that their wasnt a struggle? Or was there? Either way he is either dead, helping the dark side, or being made to help the dark side right? I wonder what he could be doing if he is still alive, maybe the wands have more to do with the story than we know.

Piper

Time Turners
In HBP when it is mentioned that Ollivander has gone missing, someone asks, "What will people do for wands" and the reply was that they would have to use other wand makers, but that it would be a blow to the good side if the Voldermort has Mr Olivander because he is the best.
So I would agree that there probably are many witches and wizards out there who are not being all that they could be.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
You know what just occured to me reading this thread . . .

Harry and Voldemort both got their wands from Olivander . . .

their Wands are brothers, both sharing the only two feathers donated by Fawkes . . .

We also know what happened in the graveyard in GoF, when the wands joined in priori incantatem . . .

DD said that the two wands wouldn't work "properly" against each other . . .

Voldemort was actualy frightened of what happened with the wands . . .

Perhaps he needs Olivander to make him a new wand?

or . . . is he planning to get Harry's wand or have it broken, and wanting to make certain that Harry can't get another "just right for him" wand? I would say it would be one or the other wouldn't you?

Arwan

Time Turners
ohh! Thats good SPF. You also reminded me that DD said Voldemort has overcome that particular barrier. After Harry tells him that Voldemort used his blood and could now touch him. So perhaps Voldemort now wants information about Harry's wand.

What also caught my attention was DD choosing the words"that particular barrier"
sounding like there may be one or more other barriers. I would think that since the brother wands will not work properly against each other this is the second barrier and Voldemort will want that problem fixed since ultimately they will duel again.

I wonder what other barriers still exist?

Piper

Time Turners
Well for one, Voldermort cannot kill Harry until after he turns 18, because of the blood protection bond, and he must realize this at last, so he hasn't been trying to kill Harry.

I think the idea that Voldermort took Ollivander so he can get a new wand that will work against Harrys is a very good idea.
That was one that kind of made me think DOH to myself:)

jimbo716

Time Turners
Maybe it's not a wand. Perhaps he (riddle) has something more symbolic of power in mind. A staff or crosier perhaps. Maybe even a trident or a pitchfork. (The last one is a bit cheesey, I know). All would be appropriate and kinda cool.