What was Dobby thinking at the end?

Kingsley

Time Turners
Ok I was wondering what you really thought Dobby was thinking at the end of Book 2--he went from bowing and kissing Lucius' boots to sending him across the floor

Would Dobby kill Lucius --was he really grateful to Harry or just glad to be free?
Would he plan revenge?
I think Dobby has no problems going against Lucius but I was just wondering what you thought

Haley's Comet

Time Turners
Hello Kingsley. An excellent thread here. Perhaps you'd like to read the 'Dobby Questionable' post from a visitor that Blaise had put up for us so we could read.
What was Dobby thinking toward the end? Just speculation, but it's fun to speculate. Of course it cannot be proved, but there is speculation that his master, Lucius Malfoy, sent him to Privet Drive in an atempt to stop Harry from returning to Hogwarts school. It's the only way that Dobby would have known of Harry's address, I think. Lucius had plans in the works to open the chamber of secrets, and he didn't want Harry getting in his way. Lucius couldn't go to Privet Drive himself, so he sent Dobby instead. Dobby failed in all his attempts to stop Harry from returning to school and of course, the book and the movie were both explanatory in telling what happened. I'm sure Dobby was dreading what was going to happen to him as he walked gingerly away from Harry. In fact, it looks as though Dobby was mentally trying to tell Harry what was in store for him, as he would have to face his masters wrath for failing. You could literally see the fear in his eyes, and his reluctance to leave, as he could see Harry as his only possible savior at that moment. Would Dobby kill Lucius?
I'm not sure. I wondered why Dobby didn't kill him when the opportunity arose when the elf got his freedom, or at least incapacitated him to the extent where Lucius would no longer be a threat to Harry. I don't know if Dobby would plan revenge, and I still have this nagging feeling that he might still be serving Lucius. It was all very spectacular to watch Dobby zap Lucius at the end of the movie (or book) but he never really hurt him in the slightest, and I have this feeling that Lucius was not the least bit afraid of Dobby. But I might be wrong, remember, this is only speculation. The elves are supposed to have very powerful magic, but we've not seen any real proof of that at the moment. As I said in an earlier post, that Dobby had not performed anything that couldn't have been done by any wizard worth his salt. I also have this feeling that Dobby may still be in cohoots with Lucius even though he has his freedom. But, as I have said before, I could be wrong. Time will tell.

Kingsley

Time Turners
That is why I love these specualtion posts because you see people come from ther head and not the book--I would never have thought that Dobby still worked for Lucius--but remember that dobby didnt speak highly of the family he served like Winky did--that is ine reason why I didnt think that--Dobby talked highly of Dumbledore even before DD hired him at the school's kitchen.

Haley's Comet

Time Turners
You are correct in saying that Dobby did speak highly of Dumbledore even before he hired him. But just suppose that this was also a part of Dobby's plan?
Have any one of us thought that this is what Dobby wanted US to think all along in that he held Dumbledore in such high esteem? Does he really feel about Harry as much as he says he does? It is true that we all heard Dobby not speak highly of his family he served, but was this a move by the house elf to gain Harry's confidence? Oh, how I LOVE the cloak and dagger stuff!!! Now he has been given a job at Hogwarts, (if Dobby is not what he seems to be) this most certainly would give Lucius Malfoy a very powerful alli. We know that Dobby can appear and vanish at will inside Hogwarts. How do we know if he has not been to Dumbledore's room spying on things (invisible) of course, and informing Lucius of what he knows? But to be fair, Dobby has shown none of these traits (so far), and as things stack up now, there is little evidence if any, that Dobby has foul play on his mind. By the way, Dobby will be showing up in the new movie 'Goblet Of Fire'. There was some speculation that the elf was not important enough to include in the movie, during the early takes. It seems that he may have a more important role to play. Whatever the outcome, slowly but surely, Dobby's true character will become clearer as the story unfolds. As you say, it is fun to speculate, and that is what it is all about.

I don't think Dobby would kill Lucius, perhaps call him an old, withered ding bat, but I think that's the worst he would do. I don't think Dobby capable of such.

How much independant thought and action do house elfs have? Could Dobby really do that and plan to go against the grain with something like that? I don't think so. He was punishing and self-depricating enough when he just visited Harry and he didn't even do anything. I don't see him capable of any violent action.

Sir Cadogan

Noble Heart, Steely Sinew
Kingsley said:
--was he really grateful to Harry or just glad to be free?

I think we can see his gratitude every now and then - whenever Harry is in a tight spot, Dobby is there to help him (GoF: Gillyweed, OotP: Room of Requirement) - not all the time, of course. But I think the examples show that Dobby's admiration for Harry and his gratitude for setting him free is real. Anyway, to me this is what it always felt like when I was reading.

Sorry, if that's a boring piece of interpretation - no evil plotting, no disguise, no pretended allegiance. But this is just how I feel about it. :cool:

Haley's Comet

Time Turners
This is what makes these speculation posts so great, as Kingsley said.
You can say what you want, laugh about it, or be serious. However the mood takes you at the time and no one says boo. As Sir Cadogan said, his interpretation was to the point , and not very exiting. It was honest, at least.

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY."

Kingsley

Time Turners
Sir Cadogan --I see your point about allegiance from the book 4 tip on the 2nd task but we still have to assume (there is that word again :rolleyes: ) that Dobby will run across the path of a Malfoy again--the question is then what--If he is grateful--and he is like me--he hold grudges for decades--should the Malfoys sleep with one eye open :D

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
I don't think Dobby would Kill Malfoy unless he thought Harry's life was in danger. It's obvious Dobby is crazy about Harry. From the moment they met in Harry's bedroom, Dobby seemed taken with him. In the hospital wing he told Harry he only did all the things he did to try and protect him. I think Dobby would do anything for Harry and will always be loyal to him and Dumbledore. I don't know if all house elves could adapt to freedom the way he did. He seems like a very extraordinary house elf, and he definitely has a more human personality then the other house elves in the story.

kaz

Professor of Potterology
I think Dobby is good, he is too ecsentric (sp!) to be hiding too much. When he was working for the Malfoys he let too much slip, and had to punish himself. What good reason did he have to kill Malfoy at the time in front of Harry and very close to Dumbledore? What is the punishment for a house elf that commits a crime? Just because he didn't like his previous employer doesn't mean he wants to top him off! LOL! I have had a few bosses that weren't my favorite but I wasn't about to slip sone arsenic in his cuppa! But then, I don't own a wand and I am not a figment of someones imagination!

Fortescue

Totally Potterfied!
kaz said:
What is the punishment for a house elf that commits a crime? Just because he didn't like his previous employer doesn't mean he wants to top him off! LOL! I have had a few bosses that weren't my favorite but I wasn't about to slip sone arsenic in his cuppa! But then, I don't own a wand and I am not a figment of someones imagination!

LOL kaz :D Sounds like the definition of "going postal" :)

No, Dobby seemed like he was bound only by the magic that kept him in the service of the Malfoy's, not by any kind of caring or loyalty. I think his fate was not what he wanted - the Malfoy's treated him badly and he seemed intelligent enough to know there was more to life then what he had and that's why he was drawn to Harry - at first by rumors about Harry, and then later, by his own impression of what kind of person/wizard Harry was. (I imagine after living with Draco, Harry was like a breath of fresh air.) That's what I meant earlier about how Dobby seemed more human then the other house elves. He seems to be able to appreciate kindness, and even though he still has the house elf hang up about having to punish himself, though he is no longer enslaved to anyone, but a working man getting a paycheck.

I think Dobby's humaness would stop him from killing anyone unless he was given no other choice.

Haley's Comet

Time Turners
Good point, Fortescue! I've think that Dobby did not mind serving anyone as long as he was treated with some respect by his master. Dobby would probably give up everything in order to serve Harry Potter for the rest of his life, without payment. But , I'm kind of keeping an eye on Dobby, as I'm not 100% convinced as yet, that he is totaly honest.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not convinced that Dobby or any other House Elf has a choice but to follow the orders and smile as much as they feel their rights have been ignored - i think this was the act of when they were enslaved by the magical world.

Once Dobby was freed - well that is a different matter and all bets are off.
He has escaped the ties that bind him and as such - he is capable of what ever powers the House Elf's have that the Wizarding world wanted to supress.
Dobby is a loose cannon ;)

Haley's Comet

Time Turners
That thing about the loose cannon, Blaise, darned good point. I wonder when it's set to go off, and who's going to get hurt? Now that Dobby (as you said) is capable of all the powers that the wizards wanted to suppress, he just might get his hands on a wand. I kind of had the ending in my mind about Harry fighting voldemort and Hermione going against the Malfoy's. Dumbledore is lying injured inside the building but he was saved by Hagrid (who died protecting him).
I never gave a thought about Dobby going against Lucius. Who knows? Maybe Hermione and Draco might duel it out together. After all, he does have a score to settle with her. That was one heck of a punch she gave him in POA. Dropped the blighter with one hit! There are times where I can hardly wait to see the outcome of all this. It'll be a daisy....count on it.

"I'm Your Huckleberry."

Kingsley

Time Turners
So Dobby being important in the final fight because of the end of book 2
So this is connected under the opinion that he hates the Malfoys currently

Ok I am starting to think of Dobby conspiracies myself :evil1:

Boing

Pops in randomly
As for what he was thinking at the end - he had finally been freed and now he didn't have to worry about going home with the Malfoys or ever seeing them again - the person who saved him and freed him from his prison was in danger from Lucius, so he lashed out against the man who had beaten him and enslaved him for years as he knew that his powers far outstripped those of Lucius and he had Dumbledore right behind in the office.

I think that he probably does still have some anger inside of him - how could he not? And if he ever ran across Lucius's path, there could be trouble, but I don't think he would go looking for trouble.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Well once again I point to the little skirmish between the Wizarding world and the Elf's that ended with them being enslaved.
As such we have to assume that they did have some powers and were able to use them against the wizarding world - but something happened and they lost their ability to attack the Wizarding world - who in return suppressed them to stop them taking ago at it again.
My thoughts are that once a house elf is released from this bond that suppresses them - the natural instincts will return - and for all we know those in the elf might be to cause havoc and wreak fear on the wizarding world :D

Lovegood54

Luna's Biggest Fan!
well, i have always thought of dobby wanting to be harry's house-elf. so, in line with thta thinking: i believe Dobby was thinking about asking Harry if he could be his house-elf. look at what lengths dobby goes to see harry! in the fifth book we learn that dobby is the only house-elf cleaning gryfindor tower, and he does mind becasue it gives him the oppurtunity to see harry!!!!! i think that at the end of CoS, dobby was thinking he would ask harry if he wanted him for a house-elf, but then remembered how harry lived with muggles, and decided that he would go and find temp. work, and now that i think about it, maybe thats why he was unable to find work? i can see it now: "do u have need of a house-elf for the next" --(counts fingers)-- "5 years? well here i--" (door slams in face)