Why did Snape kill Dumbledore?

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I still believe the way JKR wrote Snape is the biggest clue as to his true intentions .. because she wrote him to be evil, nasty and outwards a twisted little guy but in there lies the true man - on the outside he is all of those things but on the inside it is very different ...

kashlie

afraid of my own shadow
I still believe the way JKR wrote Snape is the biggest clue as to his true intentions .. because she wrote him to be evil, nasty and outwards a twisted little guy but in there lies the true man - on the outside he is all of those things but on the inside it is very different ...

i am undecided regarding this way of looking at Snape. I would like to believe it to be true, but you know what they say - if it looks like a monkey, and it sounds like a monkey and if it smells like a monkey...then it is a monkey.

but of course, the monkey isn't trying to disguise itself and pass as both good and bad at the same time :rolleyes:

Padma Patil

Dumbledore's Girl
i am undecided regarding this way of looking at Snape. I would like to believe it to be true, but you know what they say - if it looks like a monkey, and it sounds like a monkey and if it smells like a monkey...then it is a monkey.

but of course, the monkey isn't trying to disguise itself and pass as both good and bad at the same time :rolleyes:

Silly monkeys! lol...

Anyway, I'm not sure what to think of Snape. My theory as of right now is that he really is a good guy on the inside, but he has a hard time showing it on the outside because of his upbringing. His parents and friends were supporters of Voldemort. Actually we don't know much about his parents, just that they used to argue a lot.

I think that he is going to come back in book seven and try to tell The Order his side of the story. I'm still undecided as to how The Order will respond though.

Oh, and I found a humourous explanation as to why Snape killed Dumbledore. Its in my sig. :D

secret seeker

The Half Blood Prince
Snapes works for voldemort. Snape isnt loyal to the order, dumbledore didnt expect to be killed, wormtails debt will come into play, demetors kiss voldemort. the end.

Dunky

Time Turners
whether snape is gd or bad is impossible to ascertain due to the way his character has been written. its had been said over and over again tht dumbledore trusts snape so i can believe this to be true. i have started to believe that snape is on dumbledores side.but i believe dumbledore is against harry and voldemort......he has controlled both harry and tom from before they knew they were wizards so has amazing control over both.

Sevstrueluve

Time Turners
In HBP, Hagrid overheard part of a conversation between the Headmaster and the Potions Master. He heard Severus Snape say that he was tired and maybe he didn't want to do it anymore. The Headmaster told him he had to.
I believe that conversation was about the night on the lightening struck tower. After Severus made the UV (unbreakable vow) with Narcissa he probably went and told the Headmaster everything, after all Severus is a double agent. So, therefore, Albus Dumbledore, knowing that he was expendable and that Severus wasn't, planned out the scene on the tower. Joanna has already stated that the Headmaster is most certainly dead. But, the plan was for Severus to kill him when Draco couldn't. No one really believed Draco capable of murder. But, Severus killed Albus to keep his role as DE (death eater) secure. A very convenient place for Severus. One where he can still help Harry defeat the Dark Idiot.

Last edited:

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
In my opinion Snape made the vow with sissy because bella was challenging his loyalty to LV and either good or bad he couldnt back down to that challenge. I dont think that he cares about what happens to draco or harry atleast at this point because of the pressure. Also did LV know about the vow because if he did then wouldnt he be mad at sissy and bella? and if he didnt then wouldnt he be mad at both snape and draco? I donno I think that snape killed DD partly because of the vow/like greyback wanted to mutilate DD so he did it for the greater good of DD and draco. or. he did it because he knew it was his butt if he didnt and he didnt ever really care about anyone but himself. Still someone is going to be in trouble when the dark lord finds out what happened. Maybe this should go on another thread but what if snape and draco didnt disapperate back to LV? what if they went somewhere else? we know that draco was leaning back to the good side at the end and if its true about snape being good maybe they left just to save their tookis' and then explain it all to the order later. I donno I'm on the fence as well let me know what you think about my post.

Piper

Time Turners
Maybe Snape killed Dumbledore because he wants to rule the magical world, he would need Dumbledore and Voldermort out of the way for that to happen.

Big question here. How do we know that he didn't already have Voldermort out of the way, or atleast greatly diminished during this book?

We know that Dumbledore destroyed the Slytherin Ring Horcrux. We do not know what effect that might have had on Voldermort, we do not know whether or not Draco and Bellatrix, or anyone else other than Snape and Wormtail saw or heard from Voldermort after that horcrux was destroyed.

We do know that Harry did not have the Voldermort intrusions into his mind, we do know that while his Death Eaters were storming Hogwarts, there was no mention of Voldermort being around. We know that Wormtail was at Snape's house, the two of them together could have sure pulled together to conceal any diminishment of Voldermort from the rest of the Death Eaters, remember Wormtail owes Harry a life debt. We know Bellatrix complained that the Dark Lord would not confide in her the same way, easily she could have been seeing either Wormtail or Snape impersonating Voldermort with polyjuice potion for instance.

It's all something to think on anyway:)

serophis

Time Turners
I've always thought that the plan was for Snape to kill Dumbledore so that Snape could be Harry's secret ally at the final showdown in DH. Remember, when they're telling the story after the attack, someone says to Harry that Snape had just awoken; that they thought he apparently didn't know of the attack.

I think that Snape expected an attack from outside, rather than within, and that they had expected Dumbledore to die a lot later on than this; but since they had just come down to it, Dumbledore ordered Severus to proceed as planned, albeit early. Remember, both are accomplished Legimens; to me it seems as if they were obviously conversing on the tower, and that Dumbledore's pleading "Severus..." was his vocal expression of his silent pleads for Snape to go ahead and do him in.

As far as Snape wanting to control the magical world; I think that he has actually turned to good; but that he is merely very, very bitter because he is so often misunderstood (similar to Karakaroff; remember that Sirius suspected him, and that it is said that you never stop being a DE). I think that Snape doesn't want to rule the world; but that he has separated himself from it out of his hatred for his own treatment.

Secret Seeker: I think that may bring up a very valid point I never saw before... We know that because of Voldy's horcruxes, he is able to anchor his soul on the earth. So what happens if dementors kiss him? Would they be able to keep his soul trapped for all eternity?

Also, if not, would Harry at least be able to use their efforts to remove the soul from a particularly difficult Horcrux, thus knocking yet another off the list?

Last edited:

jimbo716

Time Turners
I think it can all be boiled down into much simpler terms:
The most underlying theme throughout the entire story is Things aren't always, if ever, what they seem.
Snape is good. DD had been dead for at least most of HBP, probably all of it. Living dead seems to be a recurrng theme thru the entire book. The Weasley's are evil. There's too much evidence for that theroy to get into here, but it's easy enough to find in other posts.

Flyboy

Time Turners
This obvious question may have already been answered, it may be that I am being dense - but having just re-read HBP the question popped into my head:

"Why was draco sent to kill Dumbledore and not Harry"???

I realise that LV knew Dumbledore was after the Horcruxes because they fought over one of them at the beginning of the book, but throughout all of the books LV has been hell bent on killing Harry as a solution to all his problems.

Why wasn't Draco also ordered to kill Harry as well, that makes more sence.

I believe Snape did kill DD but it was all pre-planned. We may never know how or why, but DD is dead and Snape has had to flee and is now stuck on the wrong side. He must be very scared.

Piper

Time Turners
I can't figure that out either, why he wasn't sent to kill Harry.

And I can't figure out why Voldemort would have wanted Dumbledore dead, when in the prior book he had been in such a tizzy to get the prophecy, and Dumbledore is the one that heard it. Of course I think the Death Eaters snatched Professor Trelawny, but that isn't a guarenttee of learning anything.

Flyboy

Time Turners
OOh , I had forgotten about Trelawney! I remember thinking as Harry ran to get his cloak after seeing Dumbledore that he had left her standing in the hall by the Room Of Requirment. He told her to stay there, and then never returned !! Maybe that's where the story will go - they took Trelawney!!

Anybody elae think it's wierd that DD was the target and not Harry??

horcruxfinder

Time Turners
Draco was ordered to kill Dumbledore to get him out of the way. He has been protecting Harry for years and LV wants a clear shot at killing Harry. I have wondered why send someone to kill one of the two most powerful wizards when you must be nearly sure that he will not be able to do the job. This must have something to do with revenge for Lucius' failure in the dept of mysteries.

Flyboy

Time Turners
Yeh, that's true. I did think LV naver realy expected Draco to kill DD and that's where Snape comes in to do the job (which DD knew all about and was willing to go along with that's why he and Snape argues - Snape didn't really want to kill DD hence the look of hatred and revultion on his face when he did it) But why then did LV not also say "Oh yeh and by the way - do Harry in while ur at it" ??

I think LV wants to kill Harry himself - but surely this was the best chance he's ever had , why didn't he make an appearance himself?

Snape killed DD beacuse either he or DD had read Dracos mind (or his mother's at Spinner's End) and knew LV whole plan and DD knew he had to sacrafice himself to somehow help Harry.