Why is Seamus in Gryffindor?

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
The sorting hat thought 'for almost a whole minute' (PS. 90) before assigning Seamus to Gryffindor. This could mean that at the last turn, he has the potential to do something 'heroic.'

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting notion - there were a few occasions where the sorting hat took a little time to make the call - maybe you are right?

Dumbledore's man

Azkaban and beyond
The sorting hat thought 'for almost a whole minute' (PS. 90) before assigning Seamus to Gryffindor. This could mean that at the last turn, he has the potential to do something 'heroic.'

This is very interesting! You are right Dr Winterbourne.;) Clever!:p Means there will be something more about Seamusin HPDH.(If you are correct:D )

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Since it was such a difficult decision, what house do you think would have been the alternitave? On the same line, I am still holding out for Pettigrew to help Harry in the end, otherwise we will see no reason for him to have been in Gryffindor . . . btw . . . do we know that he was in Gryffindor, or have we just assumed it since he was part of the marauders?

Dumbledore's man

Azkaban and beyond
Since it was such a difficult decision, what house do you think would have been the alternitave? On the same line, I am still holding out for Pettigrew to help Harry in the end, otherwise we will see no reason for him to have been in Gryffindor . . . btw . . . do we know that he was in Gryffindor, or have we just assumed it since he was part of the marauders?

Yes, we haven't got any evidence of Peter being in Gryffindor. We have just assumed that, because James, Remus and Sirius were in Gryffindor. So their friend Peter must have been in Gryffindor.

Good point on Wormtail, I hadn't thought about that fact. Well, that brings up another Griffindor gone worthless with maybe a chance to be redeemed in the end..... Percy Weasely... By his actions in OoTP and HBP, you'd think he was a Slytherin deep down.

Do we know the houses of the other OoTP members? Any other Slytherins besides Snape?

Glumbumble

Time Turners
There appear to be only three references to the sorting hat taking time in deliberating over the house of a new student. They all relate to Gryffindor students and all to Harry’s year. The third reference was not recorded at the time but as one of Hermione’s memories in OotP. In all three cases the sorting related to half-bloods or muggle-borns. Perhaps the sorting hat has greater difficulty in determining the strengths of students whose parents are not both magical. Not to say that Seamus’ placement in Gryffindor does not mean that he will do something heroic in book 7 but that may apply to all Gryffindors.

PS/SS said:
Sometimes, Harry noticed, the hat shouted out the house at once, but at others it took a little while to decide. "Finnigan, Seamus," the sandy-haired boy next to Harry in the line, sat on the stool for almost a whole minute before the hat declared him a Gryffindor.

Hmm," said a small voice in his ear. "Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty
of courage, I see. Not a bad mind either. There's talent, A my goodness,
yes -- and a nice thirst to prove yourself, now that's interesting....
So where shall I put you?"
Harry gripped the edges of the stool and thought, Not Slytherin, not
Slytherin.
"Not Slytherin, eh?" said the small voice. "Are you sure? You could be
great, you know, it's all here in your head, and Slytherin will help you
on the way to greatness, no doubt about that -- no? Well, if you're sure
-- better be GRYFFINDOR!"

OotP said:
'Well, the Sorting Hat did seriously consider putting me in Ravenclaw during my Sorting,' said Hermione brightly, 'but it decided on Gryffindor in the end.

The issue of Peter Pettigrew may have been resolved by JKR in an interview for World Book day in 2004

JK Rowling's World Book Day Chat said:
Sirius Riddle: What houses were Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, James Potter and Remus Lupin[sic] in? Everyone tells me they were all Gryffindor, but I won't believe it unless I hear it from Ms. Rowling herself!
JK Rowling says: This is JK herself saying that they were indeed in Gryffindor!
Of course as there was an error in the writing of the question JKR may have hidden behind the error as a form of deception. My guess is that he was

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
I think Glumbumble has a point and it makes sense also - if the person's magical force is somewhat dilluted by their heritage, it could explain why the hat needs a little more time ... of course it could also be an indicator that the magical force in these students isnt as strong as others - meaning it could indicate a 'weaker' student?

Dunky

Time Turners
i think it can take longer with some people because the house has to look deeper to ascertain where they belong. their behaviours/traits could place them in either of 2 houses but with lookin a bit deeper and with the hat asking questions he can get an idea of the 'choices' they are going to make...and its our choices that define u.

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
I agree with Dunky. When certain tendencies war within a wizard, the hat must sort which destiny you truly wish to follow.

Hermione would have been satisfied in Ravenclaw, but the potential to be a hero was also in her, and this was chosen as her 'higher' destiny.

Jenelle

Supreme Mugwump
I think Glumbumble has a point and it makes sense also - if the person's magical force is somewhat dilluted by their heritage, it could explain why the hat needs a little more time ... of course it could also be an indicator that the magical force in these students isnt as strong as others - meaning it could indicate a 'weaker' student?

Alz, did you mean that if the hat takes longer to decide that the student is weaker? And that if the student is a muggle/magical person that they may have less powers? Hmm sounds kind of Slytherin if you ask me, I'll have to check and see what house you put yourself in huh ;) . I think that Hermione is all that needs to be said. LOL.