Why the need for Polyjuice potion?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I was just thinking about something. . . Harry got his invisibility cloak in SS/PS, so in CoS, why didn't the trio just throw the cloak over themselves, and follow Draco, or any other Slytherin to their common room and sit and listen to see what was said? I know the side story of making the potion was good, and the need to have privacy to make the potion is what brought them to Myrtle's bathroom, and the entrance to the chamber itself. But, just wondering why they never thought of it, it would have also allowed them more time to listen than the effects of the potion did. any thoughts? :)

Re: Why the need for Pollyjuice potion?

They did need to make the potion because then they could ask Malfoy questions. Without it, the Slytherin pals would have talked about whatever they wanted with Harry and Ron having no controll over the situation. They needed to be there to controll the way it was going. They also didn't have the Slytherin password, but as Crabbe and Goyle people knew who they were and would let them in.

It was also needed because they met Myrtle while brewing the potion. If they hadn't, how would Harry have known she was the one killed or the enterance to the Chamber of Secrets was in her bathroom?

If we had never known Myrtle and somehow everything worked out in CoS, who would have helped Harry solve the clue to his egg? Remember Myrtle was in there helping him out.

An additional help of the scene was our introduction to the polyjuice potion. Without already knowing about it, the reader would have been very confused in GoF when Dumbledore poured out the contents of the fake Moody's flask.

Though there may have been ways around the potion, it really was the best route and not only affected Book 2 but the whole series.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member

Wow - me think Mere pretty much nailed that!
Agreed on the password and also the interaction with Malfoy ... If they were invisible they might have been able to sneak in - but I think once inside they coldnt have achieved what they wanted to ...
Well - say they - Hermione was hiding away cleaning her fur :D
Anyways- go Mere - not left me much to add here :eek:

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll

I knew that they needed to meet Myrtle, as I said. and I thought after posting (like in the middle of the night) that without being able to ask questions, they wouldn't likely have gotten any answers would they! But it still surprises me that the idea never came to them. Maybe something like in the bathroom as they looked at the thick nasty potion, Ron says: "Ugh! couldn't we just use the invisibility cloak? I'm shure Malfoy is just boasting all over that it's him anyway." then Hermionie "No! Of course can't. We have questions that have to be answered, and we just can't have our voices coming out of thin air, can we?"
Or something along those lines. Anyway, thanks guys!

Alz

Administrator
Staff member

I think the Invisibility cloak would have done the job for pretty much any other scenario .. afterall we have seen Harry employ it on various occasions that require the stealth ability.
I can see and respect your point - but I think it was horses for courses and the interaction aspect warrented that they communicate - as such nothing less than polyjuice potion would have done the job.
And with the usual JKR planning - you can see why she also employed it - how credible would Barty have been in GoF if JKR hadnt introduced us to the concepts earlier on?
Anyone seeing the relevance of time coming back ... dont answer - that was me and a OT warning for myself!
It's all about placing the pieces she needs as she goes through ...

I

insidefire606

because harry couldnt ask malfoy the questions if he was under the invisibility cloak now could he! :p

Another reason Ron and Harry may not have suggested the invisability cloak might have been Hermione's bad mood when they were first getting the book Moste Ponte Potions out of the library. When Ron and Harry showed their apprehension, she got angry and threatened to turn the book back in if they were too chicken.