Will Harry return to Hogwarts?

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
I believe that something will convince Harry to finish his 7th year at Hogwarts. I don’t think that JKR would leave countless children and youth with the idea that quitting school is OK. YES, granted, Harry does have a good reason: Saving the world from an evil magical tyrant is definitely a good reason. But Rowling has the opportunity here to make a big point to kids, that before you save the world, finish school first.

I am sure that Harry has much yet to learn, whether he knows it or not. I remember thinking at age 9 or 10 that I knew how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide . . . what else was there to learn in math? Well, plenty! So much so that I am still continuing to learn. The same goes for Harry. He will learn from someone (Something left behind by DD or possibly Aberforth steps up) that there are spells and other things that need to be learned before he can find and destroy the Horcruxes.

Since Harry will only need to make an appearance at the Dursley’s he is left with the entire summer holiday for them to research and search for Horcruxes. Quite a bit could be accomplished over a summer. From the looks of the UK children’s cover, I would say that the adventure is underway by the time of the wedding, if not well before.

Finally, all the previous books have been centered at Hogwarts. It nearly seems that the series is as much about Hogwarts as it is about Harry. Even the story of Voldemort is centered at Hogwarts. It seems unlikely that JKR will leave the school to die, or drive Harry out with his quest.

JKR has an unforeseen responsibility here, not to mention an excellent opportunity to utilize her influence on children and youths to stay in school. I hope she succeeds.

Luna

Time Turners
I also think that Harry will return to Hogwarts despite his statement at the end of HBP. JKR has already shown Fred and George quitting school to pursue their dream of opening a joke shop and making a success of it. I think it would convey the wrong message to show Harry and possible Hermione and Ron all leaving before the end of their education too, or is it just wishful thinking on my part that they all return to school? I've come to love Hogwarts and think it still has much to offer.

As to why they might be persuaded to return, I think there are a number of events that could take place. Here's a few that we've discussed already:

1. DD. Portrait, instructions or Hogwarts graveyard to visit. There must be a message from beyond the grave assuming he's dead.

2. Room of Requirement. Possible Horcrux here in the shape of Tiara. HBP potions book to retrieve?

3. We've seen Chamber of Secrets and the space under the school that they accessed in PS/SS through the trapdoor. What's to say there isn't another area in Hogwarts to be exploited. Could this be the final setting for Voldemort and Harry's confrontation?

4. Teachers. I can't believe we won't see Hagrid, McGonagal and even a new DADA teacher in book 7. They won't leave the school will they? Surely Harry will return to learn more from then. Still think transfiguration will play a role again.

5. Students. What about Neville, Luna, Ginny? Assume they will all return to school, surely we haven't said goodbye to them too.

There must be more, these are a few off the top of my head, but I really hope Harry returns to school. I'm not ready to say goodbye to Hogwarts yet. Mind you, I'm not ready for the end of HP either. As much as I wish for 21 July, I also don't want it to come!

Seeker615

Ghosthunter
I think he will return.

JK said her books revolve around the seven years of school at Hogwarts. Plus for the most part it is a safe place to be.

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
Harry's got the knowledge, from Dumbledore, to defeat the dark lord and his horde of evil wizards, but he doesn't quite have the skills. He needs to master non-verbals, and possibly some form of Occulmency - even Malfoy can do that now. Also, I'd love to see him getting some private tutoring from a really kick-arse DADA teacher. High power stuff. Really push his skills

I agree with everyone above, too, and most of their reasons.

About Privet Drive - that storyline has to be resolved. He has to go there one last time, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a return, for some reason, at the end - to bookend the series. We were introduced to him there. It would make sense to back out the same way - only what a different Harry Potter he will be. Fresh from defeating his nemesis, no longer under obligation to these horrible people. Of age, capable of doing magic. A master of both his worlds.

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
Seeker - Yes, Hogwarts is a very safe place, and I would assume that all of the protecting spells and charms are still in place . . . Someone just needs to be certain to destroy that cabinent!

DW - I kind of like the idea of Harry returning to #4 when he doesn't have to. The Dursleys know who Voldemort is, and knowing that Harry has defeated him, they will have at least respect for his magical abilities, if not gratitude. The best part I think will be Harry showing up, telling them what they deserve, then NOT giving it to them. That more than anything else will show them that "freak" or not, Harry is still a much better person than any of them.

tobias

Time Turners
I agree that the trio returns to school.

In PoA, Malfoy tells Harry that if it were him he would not be in school like a good boy, he'd be out doing something. Ron and Hermoine berate Harry for listening to Malfoy because Malfoy always gives rubbish advice. In HbP Malfoy also mentions leaving school because he might be doing something important for the Dark Lord.

I think, in addition to the fine points stated in the above posts, the trio returns because finishing school makes sense. Who wants to follow Malfoy?

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
I figured that I'd try to slip them all in one last time, and started on PS last night.

I don't have it with me now, but when Hagrid is filling Harry in on You Know Who, he says that with Dumbledore there, he never really tried to take over Hogwarts. Is that what he wants to do? Why go to the effort of making yourself immortal - just for its own sake, or because he has some grand master plan, involving the school, to activate, and work on for all time.

Is Hogwarts his objective? Surely that would lead Harry back there - and if anyone has been training themselves for years to be able to survive deep under caver in that school, its Harry. He knows the paths. He has his father's old map, and invisibility cloak. He has friends on the staff, has 2 loyal houseelves - well, one loyal, one obedient. His best friend will probably be Head Girl, and he has a trained underground militia.

If fear of Dumbledore was all that kept him from Hogwarts before, why not take over over now?

Last edited:

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
There are some very good points there DW . . . Voldemort only feared Dumbledore, and also we know that Voldemort/Riddle did have some form of a strong attachment to Hogwarts. In his fifth year he wanted to stay there over summer, so much so that he stopped the basilisk from killing any more muggle borns. He begs for a job imediately after finishing school, but is told by Dippet that he is too young. He returns a few years later to ask for the job again, and when refused, he curses the position. It does sound as if he wants to be at Hogwarts, and, now is his chance. I can't think other than the chamber of Secrets, what he could want though, or does he just feel that it is a "powerful place"?

Seeker615

Ghosthunter
Great points everybody. It is true that Voldemort has a very strong attachment tothe school and I bet it is still full of magic and mystery we have not seen. I can see the Voldemort trying to take over Hogwarts. Maybe the final battle will happen there. (The American cover has some type of stadium on it...is it the quiddich field?)

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Great points everybody. It is true that Voldemort has a very strong attachment tothe school and I bet it is still full of magic and mystery we have not seen. I can see the Voldemort trying to take over Hogwarts. Maybe the final battle will happen there. (The American cover has some type of stadium on it...is it the quiddich field?)
Nice - I like it!
Voldemort has to go back to Hogwarts - the chamber is there, it is where he wanted to be, it was Dumbledore's home and of course - Harry is suppose to be there as a student!

happy_hannah

Time Turners
Im sure if voldemort took over the school it would be because it was the only place he felt at 'home' in, coming from an orphanage. Even still it must be important to him, especially considering he would have made an item of all the founders a horcrux, is one there? (my money's on gryffindor). did voldemort , like slytherin, make his own secret chamber? I can see it now with that symbol (on the u.k cover) on the floor and like a nest for other treasures he took while at hogwarts.
Now onto harry returning to hogwarts, if he was chosen as head boy , could he refuse it? if your picked as head boy is there some enchantment that means you must return to hogwarts?

Hoggy Warty Hogwarts

Outside Playing Quidditch
I know its off topic here but when reading these posts i thought maybe Dumbledore isnt the only one Vldemort ever feared well at least not now anyway i mean to say that he may be fearing Harry a bit now as he is the only one that has escaped him so many times and he will be of age in the 7th book (so not just a kid anymore) and in my opinion Harry would be someone to fear if you are in Voldemorts shoes (he is still sort of human after all) even if he doesnt admit it to anyone and it may just work in to Harry's favour especially in Hogwarts where Harry knows the school so well and feels at home there just like Voldemort did and probably still does...

Sirius Potter Fan

Night Patroll
You know HWH . . . what you said just gave me the most frightening image . . . Harry and Voldemort running through the halls in the castle, firing off spell after spell totaly wrecking the place. I mean . . . I can see that happening if they both end up there to gether, and I can see that as being a possiblity . . . Maybe, before the school year starts? After? What a scene that would make in the movie!!!

Hoggy Warty Hogwarts

Outside Playing Quidditch
It would be very ironic wouldnt it for that to happen and the only place they both feel at home is the place that ends up destroyed so that no-one gets it so to speak..

Dr Winterbourne

Time Turners
I just thouhgt of this as I was writing a post on another thread; but perhaps another reason V wants to get to Hogwarts is to recover the odd horcrux that he left hidden in the RoR - a tiara, perhaps.

Alz

Administrator
Staff member
Voldemort wants back there because it still contains the Chamber of Secrets, the final tomb to Salazar but also, he had the best times of him life there.
He is a lot like Harry in that respect, until the time Hogwarts came along, he was living in a orphanage with people that didn't really care for him - at Hogwarts he became someone, he became unique.
Scary how that is so close to Harry growing up!
I still believe we will see some of the school year in book 7 - how else will we see the students graduate!